Can't find on search... mosquito control, citronella, vodka

anonapersona

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
I am trying to find a post, perhaps by geekgranny, that detailed how to make a homemade mosquito repellant from vodka and citronella oil. There may have been some other items in it, I can't quite recall. I did search, not sure if maybe it was a thread that later got pulled for some other reason. Really wish I'd written it down at the time.

Advice, anyone?

jdizon said:
There are a couple of different formulations you can make for your natural mosquito repellent. In general, what you are doing is diluting an essential oil that the mosquitoes find distasteful or which confuses them so they can't find you to bite you. The oils don't mix with water, so you'll need to add them to other oils or to alcohol. It's important to use an oil or alcohol that is safe for your skin. Also, don't go overboard with the essential oils.

Thanks. what I think I recall is some amount of vodka mixed with only a few drops of citronella oil. What I don't know is if that is the stuff I use in the torches. Maybe the torch oil is just lamp oil mixed with a more pure citronella oil and that more pure stuff is what I really need.

I don't want to be using lamp oil if that is not right, can't be good for my skin.

I'll try an internet search for pure citronella oil next, maybe that will give me a clue.

[quote="anonapersona
Thanks. what I think I recall is some amount of vodka mixed with only a few drops of citronella oil. What I don't know is if that is the stuff I use in the torches. Maybe the torch oil is just lamp oil mixed with a more pure citronella oil and that more pure stuff is what I really need.

[/quote]

You want the straight citronella oil, not the lamp oil.

You used to be able to buy it everywhere as an insect repellent. Amazon carries it. From what I recall, to be effective it has to be reapplied about every 20 minutes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.