Chlorine test comes up almost red?

jonmar

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 29, 2009
I'm in Ontario, so we'll be closing in the next week or so. I've had the heater off for a couple weeks and the water is about 60. I had also turned off the SWG as well and it had been off for a week or so. The solar blanked has been on this whole time as well. In any case, I flicked it on for a couple hours yesterday (the SWG) and today I tested the chlorine level as I'm not too sure at which temperature I no longer need to worry about algae. Anyhow, it's usually a mid to dark yellow, and today it almost look red. Any ideas?

jonmar said:
I tested the chlorine level as I'm not too sure at which temperature I no longer need to worry about algae. Anyhow, it's usually a mid to dark yellow, and today it almost look red. Any ideas?
Others will correct me if I'm wrong but I think algae could still be a danger at 60° F. Not applying chlorine doesn't automatically mean that your pool will get algae, but it makes it more susceptible. What type of chlorine test are you performing? OTO (different shades of yellow)? DPD (different shades of red - from yellow/orange to deep purple)? Is there a number on the side of the comparator that corresponds to the shade you're seeing? E.g. 3 ppm, 5 ppm... 10 ppm.

Sounds like you're using the OTO cl test and the chlorine level is 10+.

If you want to test this, you can dilute the pool water 1:1 with unchlorinated water, test that sample and multiply the result by 2 to get a pretty good idea of the actual chlorine level.

I'd leave the SWCG off for now :wink: Sounds like you've got ~ nothing in the pool to consume the chlorine :goodjob: and the solar cover is keeping the sun from burning off much of the chlorine you have :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.