All right for a little water remaining in returns?

dannyboy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2008
Denver, Colorado
Hey all,

Attempting to close this myself after my first year of pool ownership.
The returns have been blown with a compressor and I hear a small gargle after shutting the pressure off. This tells me that there may be a little left.
Should I just pour RV antifreeze down the two returns?
I have made pipes with 90 degree elbows that are screwed into the returns then capped. This means I can leave the water a little higher as I have an auto cover...

Any suggestions on that last bit left in the pipe?

thanks

dannyboy

It's probably fine as it is :cool: You might want to take one more stab at blowing the water out - when you blow out lines, the water clings to the sides of the pipe, you need to periodically stop the air flow so that the water can puddle - the next blast of air will remove most of the puddle, repeat the blow/ stop/ blow until only a very fine mist comes out. On the other hand, say you've still got ~ 1/2 cup of water in the line, 1/2 gal antifreeze will be more than enough to mix with the water and protect the line. (if you need info on a couple different ways to make the water puddle, I'll happily provide them for you :wink: )

One other consideration in this is how deep the pipes are run in the ground - if they're below the frost level, that's a big plus - but I'd still try to get all the water out and use some antifreeze!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.