closing, help quickly please

JasonLion said:
The correct procedure for adding DE to a sand filter is listed at Pool School.....

I can follow those instructions. Thanks.
In my present situation I’ll have new sand. Then, in about 1 month, I’ll open the pool. Historically there is plenty of debris/backwashing/filter cleaning/frequent rise in pressure the 1st few days until things get stabilized. We let the pump run 24 hours prior to the 1st water testing.

Would it make more sense to add DE to the sand right from the go (put DE in the sand filter for the 1st 24 hours prior to testing), or wait until we balance?

Seems to me, add the DE after the pressure is stabilized & the water remains balanced for a few days is better, but I thought I’d ask.

We’ll be pouring new sand in so we could even layer the DE in the dry sand in any ole fashion- but I read nothing of this on TFP, just me thinking- not necessarily a good thing. DE is normally dipensed mixed in a bucket of water in the skimmer.

Thanks once again. The manual reads: “New sand requires an initial 2 minutes backwash then a 2 minutes “rinse” (MPV position) then you can start to filter.”

Does that sound good to you, or you guys have found something a little better?

I did see him fill it w water after the sand then let the water drain out drain. I asume that will not accomplish the same thing that your advised "rinse" will accomplish? That was done because_____ ? (since I will be adding the new sand a few years down the road)

Is there anything different I need to anticipate as it relates to pump "Run-Time" because of my new sand filter? A satisfactory pump Run-Time (as it relates to filter- not all the other factors) is more a function of pump capacity/HP, right? My new sand filter specs are below in my signature, here is my old DE filter specs:
- Designed Flow Rate: either NSF 2gpm is 96, OR, 2,5gpm is 120.
- Turnover rate based on 2.5gpm:
6 hr. 43,200
8 hr. 57,600
12 hr. 86,400

PoolGuy NJ, you are so quick you may have missed the edit to my post above, here it is

Johnny B said:
Thanks once again. The manual reads: “New sand requires an initial 2 minutes backwash then a 2 minutes “rinse” (MPV position) then you can start to filter.”

Does that sound good to you, or you guys have found something a little better?

I did see him fill it w water after the sand then let the water drain out drain. I asume that will not accomplish the same thing that your advised "rinse" will accomplish? That was done because_____ ? (since I will be adding the new sand a few years down the road)

Filling with water and letting it drain provides no pressure from rapid water movement. It helps but isn't sufficient, IMHO. Backwashing will happen in due time and doing it first is just a waste of water.

Why he filled it with water after is beyond me. I add a foot of water 1st to cushion the fall of the new filter media on the laterals.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
Why he filled it with water after is beyond me. I add a foot of water 1st to cushion the fall of the new filter media on the laterals.

Scott

I mispoke- I believe that is just what he did, I was unable to watch & I'm glad you mentioned it since I will be adding sand in the future.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.