Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to scoop out acorns at the bottom?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to scoop out acorns at the bottom?

Already started the process of closing. Did partial drain and lost pump prime so I can't use the vac line any more. Hard to get these suckers out with leaf cleaner. Any suggestions?
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :
    22k Gal gunite IGP, 38 SF Anthony DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    380k BTU Raypak Natural Gas Heater (Model RP405A) and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to scoop out acorns at the bottom?

I got bombed by acorns before I closed. Kreepy Krauly would just scoot them out of the way, so I had to resort to get them with the hand vac. That did well. I would end up emptying the pump basket probably every 4-5 minutes, but that was better than chasing them with my net.

Leaf sucker isn't strong enough to pick them up.
    Kansas City, MO
    13500 gallon Foxx vinyl sport pool--inground (1988)
    Cristal-Flo sand filter
    Ray-Pak 406A digital
    1.5 HP single speed
    400 gallon Heldor inground spa, octagon

3. Back To Top    #3

I used a heavy duty leaf rake and it did it! I had tons of them but it was fairly easy. Most of them were down at the deep end by the bottom drain. Make sure you take'em all out. Last year I may have had a few left and I got tannic acid persistent yellow stains.
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.

4. Back To Top    #4

Good job getting them all out. They do leave nasty stains. A leaf rake is the only way to deal with nuts, IMO. Or a straitjacket...

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by spishex
    Good job getting them all out. They do leave nasty stains. A leaf rake is the only way to deal with nuts, IMO. Or a straitjacket...
    In fighting them you use the principle of judo: Use the power of the oponent to your benefit. Since they are heavy and sink down and can roll, you use their inertia to roll'em into the rake. It's just a matter of gaining experience in the technique... I started to discover the entertaining side of it

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Water_man
    In fighting them you use the principle of judo: Use the power of the oponent to your benefit. Since they are heavy and sink down and can roll, you use their inertia to roll'em into the rake. It's just a matter of gaining experience in the technique... I started to discover the entertaining side of it
    It's definitely an art. Be careful or you'll start daydreaming about doing it competitively...

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, a good leaf rake is the way to go. If there are alot of them they may clog up an cleaner.

Edit to remove link. Butterfly
    I have an 18ft round above ground pool with a hayward easy-clear micro filter, 1 hp pump, hayward automatic feed chlorinator.