Pentair Quad Filter-Are You Happy With It?

geekgranny

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 20, 2009
North Central Texas
I'm getting a Pentair Quad DE 80. I'm replacing my old, but still in great condition Stainless Steel 36 sq ft DE filter, that just can't keep up with the amount of extremely fine silt the dogs constantly drag in (plus the wind). It filters it well enough, although I think the Quad will do a better job. The main reason for replacing is that I now have to backwash my old filter at least twice a week, sometimes a third time (few weeks ago did the pre-soak and acid soak of grids in addition to replacing four grids that were not torn but plastic getting weak). We've always had dogs swimming but now we have three active large and GIANT puppies who have multiplied, exponentially, the amount of silt going in to pool. I've switched to cellulose, not sure if I'm going to continue, because of the extreme amounts of DE I've been putting into the environment. We already have enough silt flying around and all my runoff eventually makes it to protected habitats and state park lake.

I have the Quad 80 ordered but can make a change if necessary as I am picking it up locally, at a warehouse.

I really like the idea of being able to take the top off to rinse out filter media.

Are you really, really happy with your Quad?

Do you have experience with other DE filters with which to compare?

Discovered any cons?

Have you tried using cellulose as filter media for your Quad instead of DE, or have some info about that?

Thanks, gg=alice

Quad DE filter: GREAT! I have installed several over the last couple of years and never had a problem or complaint.

For ease of use, I usually install them with the multiport and have one installed like a cartridge style filter and one with a Push/Pull.

Scott
PoolGuyNJ

Scott - question about filter size. We have a 25K gallon gunite pool, just built. I requested a Quad DE from the pool builder, but I didn't specify the size. He put in a Quad DE 60 (and Intelliflo VS pump).

I guess I expected a Quad DE 80, although my fault for not specifying.

Is there any issue with a Quad DE 60 sizewise for a 25K gallon pool?

It's rated to 120 GPM. Thats a 57k gallon turn in 8 hours at nearly full bore with the VS pump. I doubt you'll be running that pump anywhere near that rate for filtering. If you have a spa, you might set it there for a spell, but not for normal filtering. The 60 is fine.

Scott

Yes- it functions beautifully- backwashes easily and is large enough that my 20K pool only needs to be backwashed about twice a year (maybe three times at most)

After Pentair replaced it when it started leaking - I'm very happy with it.

Mine had a leaking problem that started after I had opened the lid the first time. Actually the installer opened it because initially Pentair tried to claim I pried it off. After I explained my pool guy - (the authorized Pentair rep) took it off I was taken care of.

You can take a quick look at my setup in this unrelated short video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYN92oAcPgc

Dave

20K Gallon Gunnite pool.
900 Gallon in ground Jacuzzi
2HP Whisperflow Jacuzzi boost pump
Pentair Master temp 400
Pentair Quad DE 60
Jandy RS-8 Aqualink
Jandy 2HP Epump (formerly 1HP whisperflow)
12 - 4x10 Solar Panels
Goldline Chlorinator
Barracuda G4
Polaris LCS Leaf Canister skimmer
Pool Devil Pro
Poolskim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.