Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Quad Filter-Are You Happy With It?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Quad Filter-Are You Happy With It?

I'm getting a Pentair Quad DE 80. I'm replacing my old, but still in great condition Stainless Steel 36 sq ft DE filter, that just can't keep up with the amount of extremely fine silt the dogs constantly drag in (plus the wind). It filters it well enough, although I think the Quad will do a better job. The main reason for replacing is that I now have to backwash my old filter at least twice a week, sometimes a third time (few weeks ago did the pre-soak and acid soak of grids in addition to replacing four grids that were not torn but plastic getting weak). We've always had dogs swimming but now we have three active large and GIANT puppies who have multiplied, exponentially, the amount of silt going in to pool. I've switched to cellulose, not sure if I'm going to continue, because of the extreme amounts of DE I've been putting into the environment. We already have enough silt flying around and all my runoff eventually makes it to protected habitats and state park lake.

I have the Quad 80 ordered but can make a change if necessary as I am picking it up locally, at a warehouse.

I really like the idea of being able to take the top off to rinse out filter media.

Are you really, really happy with your Quad?

Do you have experience with other DE filters with which to compare?

Discovered any cons?

Have you tried using cellulose as filter media for your Quad instead of DE, or have some info about that?

Thanks, gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Quad Filter-Are You Happy With It?

Quad DE filter: GREAT! I have installed several over the last couple of years and never had a problem or complaint.

For ease of use, I usually install them with the multiport and have one installed like a cartridge style filter and one with a Push/Pull.

Scott
    PoolGuyNJ
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Scott - question about filter size. We have a 25K gallon gunite pool, just built. I requested a Quad DE from the pool builder, but I didn't specify the size. He put in a Quad DE 60 (and Intelliflo VS pump).

I guess I expected a Quad DE 80, although my fault for not specifying.

Is there any issue with a Quad DE 60 sizewise for a 25K gallon pool?

4. Back To Top    #4

It's rated to 120 GPM. Thats a 57k gallon turn in 8 hours at nearly full bore with the VS pump. I doubt you'll be running that pump anywhere near that rate for filtering. If you have a spa, you might set it there for a spell, but not for normal filtering. The 60 is fine.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes- it functions beautifully- backwashes easily and is large enough that my 20K pool only needs to be backwashed about twice a year (maybe three times at most)

After Pentair replaced it when it started leaking - I'm very happy with it.

Mine had a leaking problem that started after I had opened the lid the first time. Actually the installer opened it because initially Pentair tried to claim I pried it off. After I explained my pool guy - (the authorized Pentair rep) took it off I was taken care of.

You can take a quick look at my setup in this unrelated short video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYN92oAcPgc

Dave

20K Gallon Gunnite pool.
    900 Gallon in ground Jacuzzi
    2HP Whisperflow Jacuzzi boost pump
    Pentair Master temp 400
    Pentair Quad DE 60
    Jandy RS-8 Aqualink
    Jandy 2HP Epump (formerly 1HP whisperflow)
    12 - 4x10 Solar Panels
    Goldline Chlorinator
    Barracuda G4
    Polaris LCS Leaf Canister skimmer
    Pool Devil Pro
    Poolskim
    20K Gallon Gunnite pool/900 Gallon in ground Spa/2HP WhisperflowSpa
    Pentair Master temp 400/Hayward Sand WZeobrite/Jandy RS-8 Aqualink/Jandy 2HP Epump
    12 - 4x10 Panels/Zodiac G3-T5 / BBB