Pool Fencing

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
I was watching this show called "Holmes on Homes"... He is a Canadian guy that does amazing work to fix up people's houses after contracters screw them up :)

Anyway, he put this unbelievable looking glass fence around a pool. It is extra thick, reinforced fencing.

I have a baby that is about 10 months old I need to put a fence around the pool this coming spring. But my yard isn't very big and Im worried a fence will really break it up and look ridiculous.

But this glass fence was awesome looking. Probably a fortune :)
Does anybody know anything about it... I managed to search online and found a few glass fencing companies with awesome pics. But they are all in Australia. :?

Anybody have decent ideas for protective fencing or that mesh stuff that covers the pool or anything that would look halfway decent? I dont want to cut my yard in half and close off the pool area with vinyl or aluminum fence...

Thanks!!!!

I tried to find the glass fence as well with no luck finding a local installer, just Internet suppliers but you need to measure and install.

I have a small yard and was also concerned about making it look smaller. We gave up on the glass fence and went with aluminum through a local company. It does not make the yard look smaller, and I actually like the "separation" it creates as if making two spaces out of one.

I don't know if all aluminum fences are made this way but ours does not have all the vertical bars welded to the horizontal bars. It makes me worry when my little guy wants to stand on the horizontal bar as it has a little flex in it, so I keep an eye on him to keep him from doing that. I am also not sure how well it will take a bump from him on his tricycle when gets old enough to ride it.

All in all I like it and I went aluminum so I do not have to deal with the maintenance of iron.

I used 8 foot long steel fencing sections from Lowes. Its available with either bolt down posts for the pool deck or you dig holes like conventional fencing. Its almond color and not unattractive at all.

Check with your building department for building code issues. You should not just put up a fence. Proper fencing should be non-climbable and be at least 4.5 feet high. My local code requirement is 4.5 feet, but we run a home daycare and their requirement is 5 feet. Gates should be lockable and the latch has a minimum distance off the ground. There should be no climbable objects within a couple of feet from the fence as to not negate the non-climbable nature of the fence. Of course, vertical spacing of pickets should conform to the normal child safe picket spacing associated with stair rails, cribs, etc.

You could try to contact the people at the TV show and see if they can help. You can also try a Google search for
Holmes on Homes, to see if you can find the episode. This could lead to the manufacture of the fence. Good Luck!
PS, I also saw the same show. The fence looked great.

A couple of weeks ago, I stopped and looked at the display of fences outside the door at Home Depot. To my surprise they had a display of fence that can use several types of fencing between the poles. One was a clear section. I didn't check to see if it was glass or some kind of "plastic" material though. I'm pretty sure it would have to be special ordered. I've been wanting that for a second story deck but it is way down on my priority list. So you could check out Home Depot.

gg=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
California Peeps... I have a guy for you on Glass.. Akmeglass.com. They were very reasonable. Here is my pool just finished.

4158857077_c9369bc5bf_b.jpg

4192462738_9151c02382_b.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.