Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Fencing

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Fencing

I was watching this show called "Holmes on Homes"... He is a Canadian guy that does amazing work to fix up people's houses after contracters screw them up

Anyway, he put this unbelievable looking glass fence around a pool. It is extra thick, reinforced fencing.

I have a baby that is about 10 months old I need to put a fence around the pool this coming spring. But my yard isn't very big and Im worried a fence will really break it up and look ridiculous.

But this glass fence was awesome looking. Probably a fortune
    Does anybody know anything about it... I managed to search online and found a few glass fencing companies with awesome pics. But they are all in Australia.

Anybody have decent ideas for protective fencing or that mesh stuff that covers the pool or anything that would look halfway decent? I dont want to cut my yard in half and close off the pool area with vinyl or aluminum fence...

Thanks!!!!
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Fencing

I tried to find the glass fence as well with no luck finding a local installer, just Internet suppliers but you need to measure and install.

I have a small yard and was also concerned about making it look smaller. We gave up on the glass fence and went with aluminum through a local company. It does not make the yard look smaller, and I actually like the "separation" it creates as if making two spaces out of one.

I don't know if all aluminum fences are made this way but ours does not have all the vertical bars welded to the horizontal bars. It makes me worry when my little guy wants to stand on the horizontal bar as it has a little flex in it, so I keep an eye on him to keep him from doing that. I am also not sure how well it will take a bump from him on his tricycle when gets old enough to ride it.

All in all I like it and I went aluminum so I do not have to deal with the maintenance of iron.
    18k Inground Plaster pool / TriStar Variable Speed Pump and Controller
    48sq ft Hayward DE filter/ Swim pure Plus 40k cell / Kreepy Krauly
    Solaxx Ph-Tek

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. The aluminum fence would be my other choice if I can't do glass or its just too expensive. It is real nice.

Can you give me an idea of how much it cost per section?

Thanks for your help!!!
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

I used 8 foot long steel fencing sections from Lowes. Its available with either bolt down posts for the pool deck or you dig holes like conventional fencing. Its almond color and not unattractive at all.

Check with your building department for building code issues. You should not just put up a fence. Proper fencing should be non-climbable and be at least 4.5 feet high. My local code requirement is 4.5 feet, but we run a home daycare and their requirement is 5 feet. Gates should be lockable and the latch has a minimum distance off the ground. There should be no climbable objects within a couple of feet from the fence as to not negate the non-climbable nature of the fence. Of course, vertical spacing of pickets should conform to the normal child safe picket spacing associated with stair rails, cribs, etc.
    25000 gallon in-ground vinyl pool
    approximately 25 years old
    1.5 hp 2 speed pump DE filter Intellichlor Salt System
    Crappy 1.5" plumbing.

5. Back To Top    #5

What about a chain link fence?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by laurandavid09
    What about a chain link fence?
    Its climbable. Basically needs to be full panel or vertical bars.
    25000 gallon in-ground vinyl pool
    approximately 25 years old
    1.5 hp 2 speed pump DE filter Intellichlor Salt System
    Crappy 1.5" plumbing.

7. Back To Top    #7

You could try to contact the people at the TV show and see if they can help. You can also try a Google search for
    Holmes on Homes, to see if you can find the episode. This could lead to the manufacture of the fence. Good Luck!
    PS, I also saw the same show. The fence looked great.
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

8. Back To Top    #8
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

9. Back To Top    #9

A couple of weeks ago, I stopped and looked at the display of fences outside the door at Home Depot. To my surprise they had a display of fence that can use several types of fencing between the poles. One was a clear section. I didn't check to see if it was glass or some kind of "plastic" material though. I'm pretty sure it would have to be special ordered. I've been wanting that for a second story deck but it is way down on my priority list. So you could check out Home Depot.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

10. Back To Top    #10

Here is the product that they installed:
    http://www.railblazers.com/EN/index.php
    I have installed it on my front deck, easy to work with looks great. I bought mine through Menards, a local home supply center.
    Mike
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by mcoonan
    Here is the product that they installed:
    http://www.railblazers.com/EN/index.php
    I have installed it on my front deck, easy to work with looks great. I bought mine through Menards, a local home supply center.
    Mike
    Awesome! Thanks!!!

And thanks everyone else for the help on this

12. Back To Top    #12

California Peeps... I have a guy for you on Glass.. Akmeglass.com. They were very reasonable. Here is my pool just finished.

14000K gal 400sq ft w 6x8 spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS3050, Pentair cart filter, Pentair Master Temp, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, Pentair Easy Touch 8, wireless control. 3x intellibrite LED light. Pentair Kreepy Krauley Sand Shark. Solar Panel Plumbing. 2 x 24 inch arc sheer 24" spa spill way.