Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hand vaccuum instead of Polaris?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hand vaccuum instead of Polaris?

For those "little spot jobs". 10 minutes or so, to grab the occasional leaves, dead bugs etc at the bottom of the pool.

Polaris means hauling out the hoses & then storing them away etc.
    Is there any type of hand/manual way to vac the bottom of a pool quickly?

Thanks
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hand vaccuum instead of Polaris?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B
    For those "little spot jobs". 10 minutes or so, to grab the occasional leaves, dead bugs etc at the bottom of the pool. Is there any type of hand/manual way to vac the bottom of a pool quickly?
    Well, I've not found a consensus here on any best solution... all of the portable/handheld cleaners must be maintained, stored and occasionally repaired. And not all of them (any of them?) are as effective as regular old pressure-side cleaners (like Polaris 280 and 360, 380). Check out these recent threads.

poolbuster-t15293.html

anyone-using-the-small-aqua-broom-t16713.html

best-way-to-vacuum-clean-your-outdoor-spa-t17297.html
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you talking about something other than the regular vacuum head, hose, and telepole:

4. Back To Top    #4

Our Polaris rarely comes out of the water. I just leave it connected and it runs about 90 minutes every day. I haven't had to manual vac in over 2 years.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by HarryH3
    Our Polaris rarely comes out of the water. I just leave it connected and it runs about 90 minutes every day. I haven't had to manual vac in over 2 years.
    This sounds like a great plan. I assumed one shouldn't leave it in the water for chemical breakdown reasons. I know that UV is bad for them, manual states that, but doesn't mention leaving it in the water.
    Everyone pretty much agree its cool to leave the Polaris in the water ( except for swimming issues)?

Thanks
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B
    Everyone pretty much agree its cool to leave the Polaris in the water ( except for swimming issues)?
    My Polaris stays in the water except when removing for swimming or for a brief visit to the adjoining spa. I think most of the wear and tear issues come from yanking the machine out of the water... after two years, it seems OK to just stay submerged. (At least, it's never complained to me personally! )
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

7. Back To Top    #7

I have been using the AquaQuik. You pump the handle up and down and it strains out the dirt. I did have to super glue the piston to the handle to keep it from coming undone. Its fine for small jobs. Found it a lot cheaper at Amazon compared to the pool store.
    17,500 Gallon, SWG 33' x 21' freeform w/ Sunstone Cobalt Plaster. Attached 6 X 6 Spa raised 12" w/ 6 Jets with Moss Rock Spillover. 25' Moss Rock Waterfall. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 for Pool, 2 HP Whisperflo for Waterfall, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge 320, Pentair 400K BTU Max-E-Therm heater, Pentair Intellichor, Pentair EasyTouch 4P, Pentair Legend Platinum Cleaner w/ 3/4 hp pump, autofill system, nat gas fire pit. BBB convert

http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-tx-pool-t17907.html

8. Back To Top    #8

I vote for the Pool Blaster (Buster). If you have some really fine debris you can line the filter bag with a heavy women's tight or support hose for coarser filtering.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

9. Back To Top    #9

I just want to reiterate the common sense advice to remove any vac hoses when folks are using the pool It's just too easy for a swimmer to become entangled in the hose
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)