Intex Heavy Duty Saltwater Pool Filter System Clearanced

Suziqzer

TFP Expert
Sep 21, 2009
Greentown, IN
Hi all! I'm realtively new to the boards and Hubby and I just put in our first pool... a "new to us" version.

I saw the Intex Heavy Duty Saltwater Pool Filter System clearanced yesterday at Walmart for $100 and was wondering if it would work ok for my pool. I'm intrigued by the idea of using salt and have heard a lot of good about it. Just unsure if this would work for a somewhat larger pool.

Thanks for any input. :wink:

There have been lots of discussions about that very unit here. The general concensus is that it works relatively well and if it doesn't you just throw it away and buy a new one. In fact, there are people that have/or are considering buying multiple units just to have backups, both online and offline. I hate to say this but if you use the Google search function in the lower left corner and search for Intex SWG you'll find much to read.

Hey suziqzer!

I've used an Intex SWCG with my pool the last two seasons, and it's worked great. Mind you, it's very limited in it's controls - you program it with the # of hours you want it to run per day, and it's supposed to come back on at that same time every day and run for the programmed # of hours. It has no power backup for the controller, so if you have a power outage, you have to reprogram it. Not a big deal for me, because our power is relatively stable here, and I run my 2-speed pump 24x7 on low. Programming's a breeze too, so that's not that big of a deal for me either. Some people have had problems plumbing it with their pool too. The Intex uses 2" fittings, and most of the fittings for an AGP using flex hoses is 1.5", so hopefully your hubby is handy with plumbing fittings.

Here's a thread that discusses it in detail : Intex SWCG.

$100 is a great price for it, btw. I just bought one from Cabela's for $129 + change, and thought that was a great deal.

Lastly, your pool will hold roughly 13,500 gallons, not 14,500. You don't fill it all the way up to 52 inches. :wink:

Thanks so much for all your input. I will certainly do some reading up on the experiences of others. Hubby and I have heard so many good things about SWG's but didn't want to have to shell out the $700 price tag to try it... esp. since we haven't even got a season of reg. BBB under our belts yet.

When I came across the unit at Walm. I thought it was probably just a cheapo, no good, throw your money away product but I'm learning I may have found something good and I'm glad I asked about it. :-D

... Thanks for the note that my pool is actually 13,500 gals.... I've realized that since I put it in my Siggy line, but haven't got back there yet to change it. Guess I need to do that finally so people don't have to keep correcting me, huh? :hammer:

It's a backup/spare for when the one I have does give up the ghost. Got it for what I thought was a very good deal (until I saw yours, anyway.. :lol:), and decided to go ahead and get it, so I'm not scrambling to find another one in a hurry. Me and the wife are kind of funny like that - we have two spare coffee pots in the garage still boxed up, because you don't want to see or talk to me in the morning if I haven't had my coffee.. :evil: :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.