Testkit Taylor k-2006 vs. k-2006C vs. TF-100 (bottles, OZ)

HardTrance9

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 2, 2009
Los Cabos
Hello,

I am making my final research for buying the first test reliable kit for ourselves, so once it arrives and we test it, we can start ordering more (little kits for now, could be up to 5 max at once).

Made some research on the FAS-DPD test kits and have one, maybe, technical question that I am not able to answer my self.

Does anyone the difference (a part from price and quantities supplied) between the Taylor K-2006 vs. K-2006C?

After going through the list I think I can only say that the difference are the "foam" things and that all the bottles are bigger in the K-2006C as they are 2 OZ vs. 0.75 OZ on the K-2006.

If so, then the two main questions would be:

1) How often should you use the kit to test your pool considering those are SWG pools in hot places (from 80's to 106's)?
2) Same question but for chlorine pools?
3) The K-2006 with 0.75 OZ bottles, for how long can last for testing one pool over time considering the answers to question 1 & 2?

I was thinking on maybe make a full check using all the kit once per week? Or is this too often and I would ran out of the kit very soon? Looking to make the kit last as much as possible.

Does the increased price on the Taylor K-2006C worths it? ($77.55 K-2006 vs. $136.60 K-2006C)

Here are the links which I found on their catalog:

K-2006
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... KitID=2230

K-2006C
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... KitID=2235

For instance the "C" kit has as extra:

- TAPE FOAM DOUBLE SIDE .25"X.5"
- INSERT,1.75"SQX2"THICK,FOAM
- A BIGGER CASE OVERALL

In the other hand I know that the TF-100 kit is supposed to have more OZ per bottle for some indicators but I can't find the quantity on the webpage. Only found the quantities for the refill sets/bottles but don't know which is which.

What are your thoughts on this?

Hope Dave gets back to me soon.

Thanks as always.

PS: was searching on the forum for the K-2006C comments but couldn't find any.

Test Kits Compared compares the Taylor K-2006 against the TF100 so you can see the difference in quantities and test contents. Basically, you get 36% more tests with the TF100 for most tests compared to the standard K-2006 ("A" size). If you go with the Taylor kit, you can get a good online price for reagents (including "C" size) and the standard "A" size kit at Swimming Pool Supply Co. For the K-2006C kit, you can order that from Taylor directly.

For most of your pools, you would be testing the chlorine and pH levels every day or two in manually dosed pools (unless you use high CYA with large FC swings). For SWG pools once they are reasonably set up you could test once or twice a week. You would probably test the TA levels weekly in any pools that used Trichlor (or Dichlor) as a source of chlorine. The CH and CYA levels usually do not need to be checked weekly as they do not change very quickly unless you are using Cal-Hypo (for CH) or stabilized chlorine (Trichlor or Dichlor for CYA). I assume these are all residential pools. If any are commercial/public, then testing is far more frequent, multiple times per day, depending on bather load and local/state regulations.

As for how many tests with different reagent sizes, the reagent bottles have 24 drops per ml so the 0.75 ounce ("A" size Taylor) bottles have 532 drops while the 1 ounce TF100 bottles have 710 drops and the 2 ounce ("C" size Taylor) bottles have 1420 drops. So for tests that use 10 drops (100 ppm TA or 5 ppm FC with a 10 ml sample or 2 ppm FC with a 25 ml sample) divide these drop counts by 10 to get the number of tests. Most of the indicator dyes use 5 drop.

Reactions: Missy819
chem geek said:
Test Kits Compared compares the Taylor K-2006 against the TF100 so you can see the difference in quantities and test contents. Basically, you get 36% more tests with the TF100 for most tests compared to the standard K-2006 ("A" size). If you go with the Taylor kit, you can get a good online price for reagents (including "C" size) and the standard "A" size kit at Swimming Pool Supply Co. For the K-2006C kit, you can order that from Taylor directly.

First of all, many thanks for your reply Chem Geek!

Excellent data!

About going online, I found that directly on the Taylor webpage their prices are higher than any other online store, but also Taylor or Swimming Pool Supply Co. don't ship international (Mexico). Taylor does this with an external company but haven't heard from them yet.

For most of your pools, you would be testing the chlorine and pH levels every day or two in manually dosed pools (unless you use high CYA with large FC swings). For SWG pools once they are reasonably set up you could test once or twice a week. You would probably test the TA levels weekly in any pools that used Trichlor (or Dichlor) as a source of chlorine. The CH and CYA levels usually do not need to be checked weekly as they do not change very quickly unless you are using Cal-Hypo (for CH) or stabilized chlorine (Trichlor or Dichlor for CYA). I assume these are all residential pools. If any are commercial/public, then testing is far more frequent, multiple times per day, depending on bather load and local/state regulations.

The pools are all residential. The idea or servicing plan, which I don't know if it's a good one, is to check on the pools twice a week by the Operator. Let's say, Monday and Thursday every week and we are thinking on maybe have the pools fully tested every Thursday until, like you commented, all levels are correct (the operator actually does this twice a week, but we are working on changing the whole process to be able to read, measure, control and maintain in good conditions every pool... looking to standardize our pool's check process and trying to learn for real how to take care of them.. here we don't have anything like a "certification" or "training" program at all). Currently there are no good test kits at all at any pool/house, only some CH bags or Salt bags, or some strips from an unknown brand.

Thanks for the recommendations on what to test every when. I know I there is some work ahead to have the pools in a decent way.

As for how many tests with different reagent sizes, the reagent bottles have 24 drops per ml so the 0.75 ounce ("A" size Taylor) bottles have 532 drops while the 1 ounce TF100 bottles have 710 drops and the 2 ounce ("C" size Taylor) bottles have 1420 drops. So for tests that use 10 drops (100 ppm TA or 5 ppm FC with a 10 ml sample or 2 ppm FC with a 25 ml sample) divide these drop counts by 10 to get the number of tests. Most of the indicator dyes use 5 drop.

This data is just impressive and very valuable for me. I can just say many many thanks :bowdown: (I know I used this one before... sorry)

Will keep reading.. getting very close to making the decision..

I would order from Dave, and order a refill of the FAS-DPD test and CYA reagent off the bat to supplement the basic TF100 kit, because those will be the first thing to get used up. Also order some borate test strips and salt test strips. Order them all together to save on shipping costs - and Dave ships to Mexico. :wink:

frustratedpoolmom said:
I would order from Dave, and order a refill of the FAS-DPD test and CYA reagent off the bat to supplement the basic TF100 kit, because those will be the first thing to get used up. Also order some borate test strips and salt test strips. Order them all together to save on shipping costs - and Dave ships to Mexico. :wink:

Great! Many thanks for your recommendations. It is good to know about what tests run out sooner for some users. Actually if the TF-100 is the winner, I already took in consideration ordering a Salt strip bottle. Too bad they only have 10 strips. Any idea when to use this salt strips? considering that the pools are balanced?

Didn't know also Borate could be useful.

Thanks!

HardTrance9 said:
frustratedpoolmom said:

Great! Many thanks for your recommendations. It is good to know about what tests run out sooner for some users. Actually if the TF-100 is the winner, I already took in consideration ordering a Salt strip bottle. Too bad they only have 10 strips. Any idea when to use this salt strips? considering that the pools are balanced?

Didn't know also Borate could be useful.
Use the Salt Test strips only for pools whose chlorine source is from a Salt Water Generator (SWG) --- (this is actually a chlorine generator and they typically use a fairly high salt level 2500-4000 ppm). If some but not all of the pools you manage use a SWG, you won't need as many salt test strips. In addition, you won't need to test twice a week... once a month or even less often is OK unless there's a problem with the SWG.

The addition of Sodium Tetraborate (borax) to swimming pool water can, according to many on this forum, provide certain benefits. For more information, see this link. But testing for Borates is NOT necessary unless you have treated the pool with borates (borax).

polyvue said:
Use the Salt Test strips only for pools whose chlorine source is from a Salt Water Generator (SWG) --- (this is actually a chlorine generator and they typically use a fairly high salt level 2500-4000 ppm). If some but not all of the pools you manage use a SWG, you won't need as many salt test strips. In addition, you won't need to test twice a week... once a month or even less often is OK unless there's a problem with the SWG.

The addition of Sodium Tetraborate (borax) to swimming pool water can, according to many on this forum, provide certain benefits. For more information, see this link. But testing for Borates is NOT necessary unless you have treated the pool with borates (borax).

As always, many thanks Polyvue! Also thanks for the link. Was interesting reading about the Borates. No Borates have been used before on any of the pools so far. (at least that's what I have been told).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.