might be buying a house with a pool

Aug 30, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I have not seen the pool opened, only the pictures. We are going to write in the contract that the pool be brought up to working and clean. Does it look like some sort of staining in the deep end? Is that something the current owners are going to be able to "fix" without costing alot. Also, is there anything I really need to know about now? (I did have an IG vinyl pool last summer.) I saw the filter tank it it's a BIG stainless steel thing. I assume it's pretty old... The home was built in '75 but I don't know when the pool was built. Anyone know much about those? Also, should I put in the contract that I want the CYA test to read anywhere between 30-50 and NO HIGHER. It was a pain in the you know what to deal with a CYA level that was WAY WAY too high last summer and I would prefer they take care of any drain and refill Crud before I take over ownership. Wish me luck! We are putting an offer down this evening or tomorrow.
lphoto.php

lphoto.php

my2kidsmom said:
I have not seen the pool opened, only the pictures. We are going to write in the contract that the pool be brought up to working and clean. Does it look like some sort of staining in the deep end? Is that something the current owners are going to be able to "fix" without costing alot.

It might be staining -- or algae. Would you trust the owners, or a service they hire, to fix this? It's up to you, of course, but if it's algae you may very well be able to do this yourself. If you're able to determine positively that the discoloration is a stain, you can always ask them to perform a general cleanup... but I've got a feeling you wouldn't want this to be a deal-breaker. Whatever you decide, it's a very good idea to have purchase contingent on an independent pool inspection (no matter who pays for it) so that any structural defects and equipment problems can be identified. You wouldn't want to contend with a pool whose shell is broken because it's sinking into the ground.

Also, is there anything I really need to know about now? (I did have an IG vinyl pool last summer.) I saw the filter tank it it's a BIG stainless steel thing. I assume it's pretty old... The home was built in '75 but I don't know when the pool was built. Anyone know much about those?

Ask them to provide to you any and all pool installation and maintenance records (including repairs) that are available. These might come in handy when having to decide whether to replace an expensive item on the pool. I believe you've indicated that you've rented the house that you're now making an offer on... if so, you may aready know more than the owner can tell you.

Also, should I put in the contract that I want the CYA test to read anywhere between 30-50 and NO HIGHER. It was a pain in the you know what to deal with a CYA level that was WAY WAY too high last summer and I would prefer they take care of any drain and refill **** before I take over ownership.

You could, but it's not like you can't drain some water and fix this problem (as you indicated.) If they hire a pool service to comply with this contractual item, be wary. The pool service might add things to the pool that will end up causing you problems. On the other hand, if the company sends a conscientious and knowledgable person to service the pool -- and you can be there when it's attended--you might be able to learn some things from him/her.

The best of luck to you on your offer. :-D

Thanks! Actually, this is NOT the house that I rented. This is a concrete pool and I had a vinyl pool. I think the discoloration is a stain from talking with the realtor. The pool is covered right now so I haven't seen it. We are going to ask that they have the pool uncovered and in working condition AND clean any staining before we go to closing. I'm thinking I might throw the CYA numbers in the contract so I'm not buying a pool that will end up needing a big drain and refill (or multiple ones) to get the CYA right.

Anything is negotiable, but like everything else you just have to way the pluses and minuses of asking to have it in the contract. We just bought a house with a pool this Summer. Fortunately for us the pool is only two years old, but still we covered our bases.

YOu are concerned about chemical levels and putting that in your contract. That is probably OK but again a pretty minor issue. Water and chemicals are pretty cheap relatively speaking. Dysfunctional plumbing, etc isn't. We wrote into the contract that ALL pool equipment had to stay with the home. We also wrote in that we wanted to meet with the seller and get "trained" on the pool.

This gave us a chance to not only learn a bit, but also find out what was actually there and what was not. Pool plugs, covers, hoses, vacuums, chemicals, skimmers, etc. You will have a huge expense if you show up on moving day and everything is gone or never existed.

Also find out who was servicing the pool and then go meet with the company if it wasn't DIY. The company will be more than glad to provide you with info since you will be the new customer. Lastly, pay for a pool inspection by a reputable company. Maybe even two if you have large concerns.

You have gotten good advice! :goodjob:

This is a concrete pool? What is the surface, plaster? When was it was replastered? :shock:

What is the age of the equipment (all of the equipment) ? What size/type filter? What size/type pump?

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. As mentioned, the pool water chemistry is an easy fix (using TFP :mrgreen: ), but if the "guts" has/have a problem, then that will/could translate to $$$$.

Don't focus on the water chemistry (we can help you fix anything there) , just focus on the bones :wink: Just my .02 :-D

Good luck with your offer!

Butterfly said:
You have gotten good advice! :goodjob:

This is a concrete pool? What is the surface, plaster? When was it was replastered? :shock:

What is the age of the equipment (all of the equipment) ? What size/type filter? What size/type pump?

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. As mentioned, the pool water chemistry is an easy fix (using TFP :mrgreen: ), but if the "guts" has/have a problem, then that will/could translate to $$$$.

Don't focus on the water chemistry (we can help you fix anything there) , just focus on the bones :wink: Just my .02 :-D

Good luck with your offer!
'
I've been told that it is gunite. We wrote up the contract to include all pool equipment and accessories as well as have the pool open, clean, and in working order.

We just bought a house with a pool. We had a one year home warranty paid by the seller that covered the pool as an extra item. If anything significant happens, it's covered by this insurance with a minimal service call cost to us. Insurer: fidelity national home warranty. I do regret not having a pool inspection before we bought though.

also, any suggestions on finding someone reputable to do a pool inspection....would I look at the company that installs and services pools? I just don't trust pool stores anyway based on my experiences last year with lies and more lies before I got with TFP.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What you want out of the pool inspection is a physical/mechanical assessment rather than pool chemistry, so anybody who's done that kind of work for a while would probably give you the straight dope. The pool-store complaints I've seen on the forum since I've been here are almost all about managing the chemistry.
--paulr

I would ask about who is servicing it now. Then unless you are aware of problems with that company I would use them. Would you rather have a company/person come out and look at your pool that has never seen it before or one that has extensive history with it, and has performed repairs on it and also knows of issues with it that presented over time.

In other words would you rather have someone with 60 minutes experience with the pool give you an opinion or somebody with possibly 15,000 plus minutes (maybe they built it?) of history with the pool give you an opinion?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.