Equipment Operating in Cooler Temperatures?

Oct 7, 2009
Is it my imagination or has our pool equipment gotten louder as the ambient and water temperature has dropped? Today the pool temperature was 62 degrees and the ambient temperature was around 50 degrees. It seems the pump is a little noisier and I'm now hearing a rattling sound coming from the heater header outlet. Is this normal?

Not sure what part of the country you're in but here lots of people start noticing new noises at this time of year. It's because the central air conditioners are now off and the windows are open.... This may or may not apply to your situation, of course. Might want to run through your checklist of pool maintenance to be sure nothing is obstructing water flow through the system. Clean the filter, pump baskets, etc Note whether there are air bubbles visible at the pump or the returns that might indicate cavitation or leakage, etc.

Thanks for the reply. We live in NE PA so the temperatures are starting to drop. Our pool was just completed in August so the equipment hasn't run in cooler weather until now. We were running the heater up until a week or so ago so the water temperature hasn't been this low until now. I know metal tends to expand and contract at various temperatures so that is why are was wondering if this was normal?

I have noticed over the years that my pump has a little high pitched whine for a few minutes after it starts running anytime the air temperature drops below 75. Once the motor warms up the noise goes away.

I noticed that one time my pool did not prime itself after I cleaned the pump basket. I must admit that i got lazy and forgot to prime but i was assured by my pool man that my pump when never have problems priming itself. Then came last weekend where the temps never rose over 35F.

When the pump kicked on later i heard a strange sound from the pump and discovered it wasn't pumping water. :oops:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.