Help us start up our new pool! - tiled 6x12m swg

Found the flapper of one of the skimmers in the water this morning. Its broken off the hatches. in the skimmer there is no longer any hatches to fit the flapper back on to.

Our gardener used this skimmer last nite to vaccum. maybe something happened when he did this. i cant think of any other reason why the flapper would break off like this.

Those things usually don't break by themselves. Not having the flapper (aka "weir") can cause a whirlpool effect in your skimmer which brings air into the system. That is likely why you are seeing the flow surge and wane. Can you shut off flow to that skimmer until you can get it fixed?

yes, there are 2 skimmers. The other one is ok.

yes, i think something made the flapper break off, more precicely the gardener when he fit or removed the tube for vacuuming. i will try to see what i can put in the skimmer to protect the system.

ok, i fixed it. There was a small plastic "rod" that had come loose, this rod works as hatches and fits in 2 small holes, one on either side of the skimmers inner wall.

We just solved our first problem, thanks so much guys!

When we started the pump today, the system started blowing sand into the pool. i stopped the pump immediately. I have talked with the PB, and he is coming in a few days to fix it. He said the likely problem is that the sandfilter is broken. I dont know the details of this problem now of course, but i am fairly sure that what you guys have said is true, the pump is too big, and has blown through the filter. When the PB comes, we will diagnose in more detailed and fix. then i will change the pump.

Hello Charlize
It is common for PB's to install pumps which are just to big. let's wait and see what he has to say, meanwhile you could run the pump on recirculate for a few hours a day to mix the water.

Happy SWims
Frank

ps i sent you a pm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You might want to make sure that the pump is turned OFF each time before the multi-port valve position is changed. Trying to move it with the pump ON can damage the gasket, cause it to not seat properly, and could cause some sand to escape the filter. Also, it is a good idea after backwashing the filter to put it into rinse for a few seconds, before going back to filter mode. Some pool cleaning people might not be aware of the damage that can be done leaving the pump ON, or afraid to turn it OFF, (lest it not start again,) to backwash the filter after vacuuming.
Even though you may have a slightly larger pump then is most electrically efficient, your filter is certainly large enough to handle the pump output, and should not have been "over-powered" by it. The laterals inside of the filter are buried in (and supported by) sand, and it would be very unusual for one to have broken from just pump pressure. If it was broken from the beginning, then you would have had sand outflow from start-up. More likely is that too much sand was put in the filter (or vacuumed up,) and some of the excess just got carried out during backwash, was not rinsed out, and then went into the pool on filter re-start. At least, I hope that is all that happened!
As frankthailand noted, you'll want to keep the circulation and SWG running to ward off water stagnation problems.
Best Wishes, and Good Luck!!!

everything has been running nicely now for 10 days. I have received training about how to use the system. This marks the end of this thread, i will make posts in the other subforums when i have questions now.

thanks to all who contributed in this thread!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.