Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Yet another "shocking" question!

1. Back To Top    #1

Yet another "shocking" question!

Hello all! Quick question - I have read that algae growth slows drastically in water temps below 60 degrees. With algae already present, should the process of shocking go a lot quicker? I am trying to get my pool closed down I would like to get this done in the next week.
    18x36 Grecian style vinyl 23,000 gal inground pool, Hayward Pro Series S220T sand filter, Hayward Super Pump 1 hp.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Yet another "shocking" question!

Quote Originally Posted by kdubya815
    Hello all! Quick question - I have read that algae growth slows drastically in water temps below 60 degrees. With algae already present, should the process of shocking go a lot quicker? I am trying to get my pool closed down I would like to get this done in the next week.
    Algae may also grow slower due to less sun on the water... if you have been testing the water and know your CYA level, that's a start. Read these two links in Pool School to guide you in your efforts:

pool-school/defeating_algae

pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

kw, ( )

I may not understand your question correctly but let me take a shot at it.

First, I am pleased that you noted "process" of shocking.....very good.

Generally, I think it's fair to say that less algae in your pool results in a quicker shock process. To complete the process, all the algae has to be killed and should also be filtered out as well. IT's fair to say that a really murky, green swamp would take longer to clear than just a little cloudiness. Importantly, it will take tons more chlorine to clear the murky, green pool.

In either case, what really makes the process go as quickly as possible is to replenish your FC as frequently as you can.

If your shock value is around 20ppm, the more hours you have your FC close to that 20ppm target, the quicker your process should go. Does that help?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

All else equal, it will usually take longer to completely clear a pool of algae and cloudiness at cooler water temperatures. Though you are correct that the algae will grow more slowly, all chemical reactions will be slower including chlorine killing and especially clearing the algae from the pool. So assuming you were to hit the algae hard at full shock levels, the cooler temps would probably take longer to clear the pool.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you all for your responses! All the responses are exactly what I needed to know! I really appreciate this forum and how willing everyone is to help!
    18x36 Grecian style vinyl 23,000 gal inground pool, Hayward Pro Series S220T sand filter, Hayward Super Pump 1 hp.