Replace Leaky Vinyl Liner: Now or in the Spring?

May 4, 2008
Hi. I've got a in-ground pool that needs a new liner. In part this is due to general wear, so I've been planning on it in the next year anyway. But the timetable has moved up as I've recently developed two leaks. One was huge, and I found and patched it. The other is smaller, roughly 1/2-1" day, and I can't find it. But it is definitely more than 3 feet deep, since my water has now drained below the shallow end.

So I can either try to squeeze in a replacement now before it gets too cold (I'm not even sure if I still can, since I'm north of Boston) or wait until the spring. My concern is that if I wait, the pool will be mostly empty during the winter. How big a risk is this to the pool structure? Any suggestions?

I don't like doing liners in the fall do to the cold weather making the vinyl hard to work with and stiff. I like doing them in the early spring do to the better weather. Although you may risk damage to the pool if the pool is left drained. The walls could buckle inwards or you pool bottom could be damaged if exposed to the elements with out a layer of protection.

At this point, I'm with Kevin that your liner should be replaced in the Spring....for the same reasons.

You do have a dilemma, tho, because your pool shouldn't be that low over the winter. I'd sure try to find that low leak so I could keep more water in the pool than you currently can.

Do you have any suspicions as to the location of the leak?

Thanks for the advice. I had assumed the leak was around the stairs, since it's an old liner and there is evidence that it has pulled away around the stair seams. But the water dropped below the seam and kept dropping for another 4 inches before seeming to stabilize. I've looked around the entire pool at the level where the water stopped leaking and can't find anything that could possibly be the leak. The big hole that I patched is still about 2 feet below the water, so I'm pretty sure I patched it well enough.

With the three day weekend coming up I'm going to put a few additional inches of water in the pool and measure it twice a day to see if I can convince myself I really understand what is going on. It's been tough over the last two weeks due to lots of rain, and my not being at home enough to track the water level daily.

If the water level stays about 3 feet down, is there a serious risk of damaging the walls?

If the water level stays about 3 feet down, is there a serious risk of damaging the walls?
Didn't you say your shallow end is virtually uncovered? I would be concerned not to have any water holding those walls back.

It's a crapshoot and you may do fine but the consequences are not pleasant.

I would be concerned not to have any water holding those walls back.

It's a crapshoot and you may do fine but the consequences are not pleasant.

Although you may risk damage to the pool if the pool is left drained. The walls could buckle inwards or you pool bottom could be damaged if exposed to the elements with out a layer of protection.

What options would I have if my pool is not capable of holding water?

Ideas on ways to minimize my risk? I do plan on putting this together this spring...but those quotes above sound rather scary.

Anthony

waste said:
Welcome to TFP!!

Do you have a light? :idea:

Dave and Kevin are giving you great advice :goodjob:

Just to clarify.....

If you have a light and the water stops draining at some level on the light lens but doesn't go down any more it is a high probability that the leak is where the power line goes through the wall at the back of bucket. Easy, fast fix. :) Still could be around the light though. If so the water level might stop to the bottom of light or a tiny more and then stop draining.

I had a major leak at back of light bucket. I tested with light still in niche. with red dye, but the test didn't show a leak until I took the light out of the niche. I was losing much more than a foot of water a day. :shock:

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.