Questions about Closing

Jun 25, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
Hello everyone!

I hope some of you remember me!!

I had a horrible algae issue earlier this summer--but thanks to this forum--I haven't had any problems since with the water chemistry!

I live in North Texas--it does get below freezing here--but not quite as bad as in other places.

So, my questions are:

1. Do you all recommend I close my pool--or can I leave it going year round? Truthfully, I hate the look of a cover, and would prefer to leave it going year round. I am aware that if the temperature drops to 32 or below that I will need to run my filter 24/7. I have a friend with a gunite pool (salt-water) and she leaves her's going year round--and also leaves the pump going 24/7. If the filter does malfunction/stop working--will I have any damage to my pool (I know that's going to be hard to answer--and probably depends on a lot of things).

2. If I can leave it going year round--and the water temperature drops below 60 degrees--do I still have to maintain my free chlorine level--or can I just shock it and leave it alone all winter?

3. I STILL have a leak underneath my sand filter. We never called AHS back--but we plan to within the next 2-3 weeks max!! Do you think the leaking filter will cause a problem in freezing temperatures?

*To be honest--the ONLY thing that is scaring me about NOT closing my pool is the leaking filter.

I can't really afford a cover at this time. I wanted to try and leave my pool going this winter--and then hopefully by next winter I can save up enough money to purchase a loop-lock cover!

Thank you to anyone who can offer advice! :)

Emily

I would get the filter checked and make sure it doesn't have any cracks. If it does and you are not going to replace it right away then you should go ahead and close the pool. You don't have to cover it when you close, but your will have more work to do cleaning up the pool in the spring. Another thing to consider is where the water that leaks from the filter goes. If it drains to an area with frequent foot traffic and that puddle freezes you have a real safety issue. If your pool is plumbed so you can shut off flow to the filter and just re-circulate the water that may be your best bet for the winter. If you decide not to close the pool then just treat it as normal. Check the chlorine and add enough so you don't drop below your minimum level and make sure you keep the water balanced. Keep an eye on the weather reports and run the pump anytime the temperature is expected to drop below freezing.

Thank you so much for your quick response.

If the filter needs replacing or fixed--our home warranty SHOULD cover it (it is supposed to fix/replace my equipment if anything breaks down).

So, I am going to call AHS back out within the next 2-3 weeks--get the leak fixed--and leave the pool running all winter I think! :)

The water that is leaking from the filter goes into our neighbors yard--and it's not a significant amount of water--so I don't think it's a big deal.

The leak has gone on though for long enough--it's time we get this thing fixed! :)

Our pool is sparkling clean/clear though (with the exception of some dirt on the bottom we need to sweep/vacuum up)! :)

Thanks again!! :D

Rubygrrl said:
So, I am going to call AHS back out within the next 2-3 weeks--get the leak fixed--and leave the pool running all winter I think!
Hello Rubyrrl... good advice from zea3. It sounds like you're going to be open for the winter. May I suggest that you file your warranty claim sooner rather than waiting a few weeks? When the weather gets cold, things like heaters, water heaters and pipes start failing, prompting lots of emergency calls... then all those guys doing plumbing and HVAC start getting very busy.

I vote for leaving it open regardless. Even if the filter were to completely fail over the winter you can switch your multiport to recirculate and everything else will stay out of harms way. Your water may get a little hazy while the filter is offline but it won't be anything that a new filter won't be able to fix.

As for chlorine over the winter, you should still maintain a residual to prevent staining from the organics that will be falling in. You'll find it much easier to do so in cold, short-day months.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.