Closing off pool

hallo

Sep 20, 2009
Since its getting cold, I was wondering if I wanted to put the cover on my pool and reopen it in 5 months or so, would I have to drain the whole pool to clean it or just add lots of chlorine and backwashing?

You certainly could leave it - and you will likely end up with a green swamp. I suspect most in your locale leave it open year round, just reducing the pump run time if the temps cool the water... still testing periodically to make sure it's balanced and properly sanitized.

If that's not what you want to do - if you would prefer to cover it and leave it....

draining and refilling is not necessary - and in some areas depending on the water table and drought restrictions - not a good idea. So if you do end up with a green swamp - you can simply follow the directions in the Defeating Algae article especially read "How to Turn your Green Swamp into a Sparkling Oasis"....

So depending on your viewpoint - clearing a green swamp maybe "more work" than just draining and refilling, but often it's the only option.

Hope this helps. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.