Polaris 280 Backup Valve

Thank you very much. That is what I figured but it doesn't want to come apart. I have put it in a vice and tried everything. But it's a no go. I don't want to break it but I'll keep trying.

Just a little hint. I've had P280s since they came out. Reason for multiple ones is my dogs have "rescued" them out of the pool and then "killed" them. Very expensive doggie toys. :roll:

More than once I've resuscitated a valve by back washing it. I took the tubing off both ends and then shot water in it going the wrong way. If yours is acting strange or not working it may be worth a try to see if you can get a little more use out of it.

gg=alice

Yes my lab seems interested in it too, but hasn't retrieved it yet... We just moved into this house and this is our first pool. Everything seemed to be working fine of course til we moved in. Now the sweeper gets stuck in the corners and every once in awhile the reverse valve will pick it up and move it to the other end of the pool. It looks like the valve has been drug around on the bottom/sides of the pool and is worn right where the jet is. Some water seems to come out around the jet instead of through it. I still can't get the Dang valve apart so I don't know what it looks like inside yet. I may just have to buy new one.

rhlabs said:
Yes my lab seems interested in it too, but hasn't retrieved it yet... We just moved into this house and this is our first pool. Everything seemed to be working fine of course til we moved in. Now the sweeper gets stuck in the corners and every once in awhile the reverse valve will pick it up and move it to the other end of the pool. It looks like the valve has been drug around on the bottom/sides of the pool and is worn right where the jet is. Some water seems to come out around the jet instead of through it. I still can't get the **** valve apart so I don't know what it looks like inside yet. I may just have to buy new one.
Welcome, rhlabs :-D

You can buy the entire backup valve (for about $60) or just a part of it here.

rhlabs said:
It looks like the valve has been drug around on the bottom/sides of the pool and is worn right where the jet is.

I just replaced the casing on mine and it was EXTREMELY hard to get the top off!!! Of course, mine had cracked and really made a mess of itself. I found the back-up valve replacement instructions from Polaris that stated that the valve should be about 30" from the cleaner AND you should position one float up against the back-up valve on the hose side opposite the cleaner. It made a BIG difference in keeping that valve up off the floor of the pool. :goodjob:

And, if you do replace the entire valve, be sure to re-install it correctly with the valve water spray coming out toward the cleaner, not away from it. I did the reverse and, funny thing, the cleaner wouldn't work correctly! :hammer:

you can try running hot water over the back up valve, mainly over the locking ring. this will expand it a bit and make it a BIT easier to remove. twist a rag around the locking ring nice and tight and apply even pressure when unscrewing, if you put it in a vice or use pliers you are only appling pressure to 2 points and this makes it harder to unscrew. normally grit builds up on the thread and causes the ring to bind on the thread.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.