Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What's raising the pH?

1. Back To Top    #1

What's raising the pH?

I've using 2-3 cups of bleach a day and my pool water seems okay but the pH creeps up.
    My local Home Depot had no muriatic acid so I ended up buying the HTP brand stuff...my local supermarkets/walmarts don't carry muriatic acid.
    What's the cause of pH rising anyway?

And why is the p lower case and the H capital?
    10,000 Gal. Inground Plaster Lap Pool
    Sand Filter
    New Orleans, LA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What's raising the pH?

Do you have a lot of aeration, like from a spa, fountain, waterfall or several young kids? That will cause your pH to rise...

All I remember about the term pH is something to do with the word 'potential' and the element 'Hydrogen'...

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, Chlorine/CYA Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3

What brand of bleach are you using?

P.S. pH is defined as the negative log of the hydrogen ion content. Lowercase p is the mathematical symbol for the log function and uppercase H is the symbol for hydrogen.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Jerry,

What's your TA?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

In a plaster pool using bleach as a chlorine source, pH will usually rise slowly. How old is the pool (or how long since it was last replastered, if you've had that done)? And of course what is your TA?
    Quote Originally Posted by stev32k
    P.S. pH is defined as the negative log of the hydrogen ion content. Lowercase p is the mathematical symbol for the log function and uppercase H is the symbol for hydrogen.
    Well, yes and no. It is a scaled negative log, that's why 7.0 is neutral. You can read various (not always consistent) descriptions of lowercase p on the web by googling pH.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Hi Jerry,

What's your TA?
    Test shows 110.....I'm using WalMart bleach.

The pool is about 15 years old and may have been replastered 5 or more years ago.
    I'm fishing out lots of oak tree leaves and acorns right now from my neighbors trees.

I have no aereation devices but do have the four jets pointing against the pool wall and slightly upward. 2 on one side one way and the other side the other way...This causes the oak leaves to circulate in front of the skimmers and not bunch up in the corners
    10,000 Gal. Inground Plaster Lap Pool
    Sand Filter
    New Orleans, LA

7. Back To Top    #7

Jerry,

If you are having to lower your pH often enough to be aggravating, you could lower your TAto help slow the pH rise.

The positioning of your jets could be causing aeration, but you seem to need that positioning to deal with the leaves.

Also, as PaulR pointed out, pH rise is the nature of the beast when using bleach as the chlorine source

While we got you on the phone, why don't you post a full set of #'s for us to peruse?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!