pool closing costs

jmlodin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
Just got a quote from the pool service department to close our pool. $230 for the labor and about $467 in antifreeze costs. They say they use 85 gallons at $5.50/gallon. Does anyone who does not close themselves pay these high costs? I called the company and questioned that much antifreeze and she said they definitely use that amount with the 6 returns and in-floor cleaning system. Seems crazy. They do have another package option where they then charge $335 to close the pool and only blow the lines and add 5-10 gallons of antifreeze. However this option comes with no guarantees at all, whereas the other one is 100% guaranteed if there is a freeze problem. For $200 I suppose the guarantee might be worth it. Ouch that is a lot of money!

That's nuts. I contracted with the pool store to open mine for the first time in my ownership. I then called him back at the end of the season (without calling the pool store), and he closed for 100 bucks. I bought the antifreeze, in the amount he recommended....6 gallons. Even though I considered that a good deal, I'm not calling anyone this year, and giving this closing thing a shot by myself tomorrow. Pool store likes to make their cut, but again, it's 95% labor, and these guys would rather keep the money to themselves. I don't blame them.

I would consider 85 gallons a rip-off, unless you are trying to close up plumbing to a lake.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.