High bromine levels - What do do?

michy

Sep 26, 2009
I got my Taylor test kit today and here are my results:

CH: 200
TA 120
pH 7.8
Bromine 12.5ppm

So I added acid to drop the pH down (I realize this will lower the TA as well). I am using a bromine floater and I just did my weekly shock two nights ago. I need to wait until the bromine is at 6 or below to get in right? What do I do now? Is my floater set too high? Did I add too much shock?

Also, rereading the initial start-up instructions provided by our spa dealer, it didn't say to add sodium bromide to form a bromine bank. It only said to add MPS shock, which I did and then I threw in the floater. Everything I've read on these forums, say to add the sodium bromide on start-up. Would not doing this have an impact on anything? Should I go buy some and add it in?

I'm confused.

Thanks,

Michy

If you don't have a bromide bank to start with then the bromine tablets will build one up over time, but you might not have much "reserve" to be able to shock to get to higher bromine levels. Right now, that doesn't seem to be a problem. The bromine tablets add bromine (or bromine and chlorine, the latter reactivating additional bromine from bromide).

You might have added too much shock or your bromine feeder might be set too high. Take out the feeder and monitor the bromine level which should drop in a day or two. Then, put the floater back in and see how things go as you use the spa. If the bromine level is fairly constant, then great. If it tends to be too high or too low, then adjust the feeder. You may not need to shock very often if your bromine level is more constant and your water stays clear. If you do need to shock to keep the water clear, then you may want to lower the bromine output on the feeder so that the bromine level is on the low side so that when you shock it's not too high.

Don't worry too much about getting it exactly right. You just need to learn your tub's specific needs and adjust as you go along.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.