High CYA and closing my AG

Aug 6, 2009
Northwest Indiana
First of all I want to say I love this site. I visit often. I found you mid season and started using the BBB method after having no luck with the pool stores. My pool cleaned up nicely!! :goodjob:

My question is this... My CYA got out of control 100+ So should I drain more than the recommend 6 " below the return? For obvious reasons I don't want to drain and refill going into winter. I will wait till spring to do that. I did do a partial drain during the swim season and I don't think it made that much of a differance. I would have to drain 1/2 my pool. But for closing purposes what is best?

I have read the Pool School/ Closing an AG pool. My shock level will be really high. Here are my test results taken 1/2 hour ago.

F.C. 6
C.C. 0
P.H. 7.8
T.A. 120
CYA 100+

Any advise would be a great help

Hello Tzero and welcome to TFP :wave:

You can certainly drain a little more, but you do not want to expose too much of your liner...I guess the theory there is that after the liner has been wet for a while and you let it dry out, it becomes brittle. Also if you go more than 6" on a ABG and do not re-fill to stay at 6", you'll need a larger dia. winter cover, otherwise if water accumulates on you smaller cover and is not supported by pool water, it can cause undue stress on your pool wall.

Hope this helps

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.