Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High pH in Bromine hot tub (stand alone)

1. Back To Top    #1

Keene, Texas

High pH in Bromine hot tub (stand alone)

Now that I am getting my pool under control, I am considering using BBB for my hot tub. However, most hot tub dealers recommend Bromine instead of Chlorine. They say it is more stable in the hot water. I did start checking my bromine and pH myself tonight. My pH is extremely high. I was wondering, is it okay to use MA to lower pH in a Bromine hot tub? The pH decreaser I have been buying does not work well. any recommendations on BBB vs Bromine are welcome.
    Additionally, If I decide to just do the chlorine then do I have to drain? Or is Bromine close enough to chlorine that I can just switch?
    amoses (Aaron)
    Converted from Baquaqoo in the fall of 09. Best thing I ever did!!
    AG, 24 Ft Round, 54" wall, 48" deep, 13,500 gal., TF-100 test kit
    Hi-Flo II 1.5 HP pump, AquaTools High Rate 200# Sand Filter AT3120

2. Back To Top    #2

Cupertino, CA

Re: High pH in Bromine hot tub (stand alone)

BBB works well in a hot tub, that's what I do. I have never tried bromine so I can't offer any help there. But, I believe that if you already added bromine, then you are stuck with it until your next water change.

If you look in Pool School, near the bottom is a Further Reading article, and near the bottom of that are pointers to articles about using chlorine and bromine in a spa.

The main issue with using muriatic in a hot tub is that you need fairly small quantities and that can be a little tricky to manage without spilling. I use dry acid (sodium bisulfate) a spoonful at a time works fine.
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page