Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FC AND CC

1. Back To Top    #1

FC AND CC

How do you find FC and CC levels? I have the TFKIT100. Below are my readings, pool is a bit cloudy and like a light green not a lot.

CH - .3
    PH - 7.2
    TA - 170
    CYA - 20
    Lafayette LA, 30-35k gal, Sand Filter Tahitian HR25, IG, Gunite

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FC AND CC

Quote Originally Posted by hallo
    How do you find FC and CC levels? I have the TFKIT100. Below are my readings, pool is a bit cloudy and like a light green not a lot.

CH - .3
    PH - 7.2
    TA - 170
    CYA - 20
    Use the FAS-DPD test. Reagents R-870, R-871 and R-0003 to do the test. The instructions are here http://www.tftestkits.net/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=8
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by hallo

CH - .3
    PH - 7.2
    TA - 170
    CYA - 20
    If your pool water is cloudy, I strongly suggest that you use the FAS-DPD titration test to determine your chlorine levels.

You want to measure 2 things: Free Chlorine (FC) and Combined Chlorine (CC)

• Rinse out the sample vial with pool water, then fill it to the 10 mL mark (one of the lowest marks on the tube)
      Add 1 or 2 dippers of R-0870 DPD powder (small dipper, not the flat end) to the sample and swirl
      Add R-0871 titrant, a drop at a time until pink turns to no color (clear)
      Multiply the nbr of R-0871 drops you used by .5 (if you use 11 drops, that's 11 X .5 = 5.5)
      The result is FC ppm (Free Chlorine)

Next, add 5 drops of R-0003 to the already tested sample; if it turns pink, go to next step, otherwise CC = 0
      Add R-0871 titrant, a drop at a time until pink turns to no color (clear)
      Multiply the nbr of R-0871 drops you used by .5 (if you use 2 drops, that's 2 X .5 = 1.0)
      The result is CC ppm (Combine Chlorine)

Would recommend that you redo your Calcium Hardness (CH) test since that doesn't look right. When you're finished, post the results for FC, CC, pH, TA, CH and CYA on this thread. We can offer some help at that point on clearing up the cloudy/green water.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks, the CH - .3 is actually Chlorine.
    Lafayette LA, 30-35k gal, Sand Filter Tahitian HR25, IG, Gunite

5. Back To Top    #5

If you look in the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry you'll find the abbreviations we use (and a lot of other people too!). That will help avoid confusion.

FC of .3 is not something you can measure with the yellow-drop test in the TF100. Did you mean FC of 3?
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page