Pool Pilot Total Control Question

May 3, 2007
Arizona
I have a Total Control problem that I have worked on and off for almost three years :oops: So, I am finally breaking down and asking for help (yeah, yeah, I know... talk to my wife :roll: ) I have not been able to get the ph side to work - every time I switch to Total Control, I get Error! Purifier Off Acid Off Check OpEC... My water is balanced, I work through all the settings, I have my max/min points setup, I'm communicating with the sensors because I'm getting readings, the pump is primed and feeding, and still nothing is happening.

I did contact AutoPilot support when I first had the system installed, and they said to make sure the water was balanced and to wait until my pool warmed up (that was in Feb 2007; my temps were in the 55-60 degree range at the time)... Life intervened, and a heavy travel schedule for work, so I just switched over to straight purification and let it go... every six months or so, I would go out and kick it, but no luck.

So, now that I'm well past warranty and all that fun stuff, it's time to either make this thing work or get rid of the acid pump... I know that PoolSean frequents this board - it was his presence on The PoolForum that made me decide to go TotalControl - and I'm hoping he can once again help out a poor soul in need... any and all suggestions accepted!

Thanks!

Hi Phil,

Purifier OFF Acid OFF Check OPEC coincides with the phone cable not communicating. This might be as simple as verifying that the cable it plugged into the correct jack. When you look under the 75003 Digital, there are two black jacks side by side that both look alike. One is actually smaller than the other. This is the one that the cable should be plugged into.
If it is correct, then it may be the 75001 Pool Chemistry Controller's circuit board. Remove the metal box to reveal the circuit board. There should be a flashing green light to indicate that it is connected and communicating. If it's a fast flash or red light, you've got problems.

Keep in mind too that the pH and ORP sensors have about a 2 year lifespan before needing replacement.

Questions.
Is your Acid pump wired directly into the 75003 Digital?
Has it been working or did you just run Purifier mode, without the acid pump running?
Assuming that your sensors are shot, being 3 years old, how about just putting it in manual chlorine and pH modes? >> I have mine in this mode because my sensors are shot too.

Hi Sean -

Thanks for the troubleshooting tips; I was finally able to go check it out. The cable is connected to the correct jack, but there is no light at all on the 75001 circuit board...

The acid pump is wired to the 75003 and is manually functional when I put the system in Total Control mode... I've never been able to get the Total Control working since installation; it would have been nice if support had me check the 75001 light back in 2007 :oops: I have just been running Purification and adding acid directly to the pool.

How does the system operate manually? It certainly sounds like an option over the winter and, if we can figure out what's wrong with the board, maybe replace the sensors next spring...

Thank you for your help, you are the best :goodjob:

Phil

Put the system in pH CONTROL Mode. This will allow you to set the Purifier % and XX oz per (day, week). Both of which will need to be adjusted to maintain your desired levels.

I have a 19,000 gallon pool, with and SC-60 cell. Cell Power 2 at 65% and 5 oz/day acid feed. This is correct for my pool.

Poolsean said:
I have a 19,000 gallon pool, with and SC-60 cell. Cell Power 2 at 65% and 5 oz/day acid feed. This is correct for my pool.

Sean -- Your acid usage works out to about 150 oz. per month, or 2.5 gallons. That's my experience as well, with a similar sized pool. How much Total Alkalinity increaser do you have to add on a monthly basis to keep the alkalinity within an acceptable range? What is your alkalinity target reading? Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.