Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Streaks in Pool -Update PB performs 0 ph for a couple days?

1. Back To Top    #1

Streaks in Pool -Update PB performs 0 ph for a couple days?

After the re-plaster we developed big streak marks that looks like white paint was spilled. I've noticed that it started to get more and more noticeable after continuously adding acid to keep the ph balanced. They came and tested the marks to see if it was scale and determined that it was part of the plaster. Now they want to have the ph kept at 0 for a couple of days to whiten up the rest of the pool. Is this the correct method of fixing this problem? They are bringing in their own pump to circulate the pool btw. I'm also concerned that it it will either:
    1. mess up the rubber gasket on the light
    2. eat through the 25 year old pvc piping
    3. And/or proportionally make the streak marks whiter compared to the rest of the pool
    24000 inground gunite(painted), 1 hp hayward superpump (220), hayward 244t, Goldline Aqua rite SWG (110) Kreepy Krauly 1.5 in piping, 30 year old pool

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Streaks in Pool -Update PB performs 0 ph for a couple days?

I'd be very worried about that PB.There's no way they're going to get a pH of zero. If they even get close the plumbing and lights will be the least of your problems, there'll be no plaster left.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW PA

I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

I've never heard of such a thing....

I mean - there is a drain/acid wash technique....but this just doesn't sound right.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

5. Back To Top    #5

I've read this thread three times now, and it just hit me that you're saying 0 pH! For some reason I was reading it as 7.0 pH. I'm guessing that's because 0 pH doesn't make any sense. You'd have a giant tub full of concentrated hydrochloric acid, aka: fuming hydrochloric acid. This is not good for pretty much anything with living tissue. The mist alone... Well, I wouldn't even want to think about that!

You should know how much muriatic acid fumes when you take the lid off a bottle. That's only 31.5% hydrochloric acid. Imagine that stuff full strength in the quantity of whatever your pool is!

I concur with Bama Rambler... If they even get close to zero the pipes and lights, and I'm throwing in the plaster too, will definitely be the least of your worries!

I'd try and verify this is exactly what they're tryin' to do.
    Rob B
    My $100 pool finally died after 6 years.
    Totally got our monies worth!
    Butterfly made me do it...

6. Back To Top    #6

Cupertino, CA

I remember chem geek once said that normal (31.45% HCl) muriatic actually has a negative pH (like -1). pH is a log scale so pH 0 would be around 3% HCl? That's still a ridiculous number.
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page