Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installing Stone Coping...

1. Back To Top    #1

Installing Stone Coping...

Hey folks,

I've got an 18X36 Steel Walled Vinyl Lined pool here in Massachusetts. It currently has aluminum bullnose coping that I am replacing with track/cantilever coping to hold up the liner, and then stone coping on top.

I called up 2 paver companies to ask about the best installation method for the stone. One said mortar/concrete (lathe added to hold it). The other said just use adhesive and add mortar as a grout.

Which is the better or more proper method? Anything other instructions also? Like "First apply with x acid to properly clean surface"... Seems like there should be more.

Also, is there anything I should do to ensure that I can replace the liner later, or will that be fine?

18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

2. Back To Top    #2
    South Carolina

Re: Installing Stone Coping...

TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi, I just installed a stell walled 18x36 myself and I want to install the coping myself. Did you get an answer to the best approach here? I was told to pour an 8' wide and deep concrete footer to then glue to paver coping to. Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

Central Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by dholland17
    I was told to pour an 8' wide and deep concrete footer to then glue to paver coping to. Thanks
    No, you dont need to do that. The debate over the mortor or adhesive is pretty old. The truth is you can probably do either and it would be just as good. If you use a stone like flagestone or limestone, mortor is prefered. If you go with a bullnosed, cantilever brick like a Unilock product, I think you could use a high quality adhesive and be fine, although if it were me I'd use mortor.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.