What just happened? Pump running without suctioning

Sep 24, 2009
PLS HELP!
My pump/filter was running just fine but when I went to put in my hose to vacuum, and the pressure suddenly dropped to zero and all suctioning from intake just stopped. What just happened??
This is my first time doing this since switching to doing it myself rather than pool guy. All I did was remove the leaf strainer to fit in the hose. (while pump was running). The only thing out of ordinary was that I stuck my hand in to feel around for the intake and my hand got pulled in stopped the flow for a split seccond. Did that cause some kind of hiccup? How to fix?

PeterT, welcome to TFP!!

What I suspect is that you lost prime in the pump.

2 things suggest themselves:

1) The vacuum hose wasn't full of water before you connected it

2) Your hose has one end that will swivel and you connected that end to the skimmer, instead of the vac-head (which is where it belongs).

As long as you got it to perform properly to vacuum the pool - I'll say that it's the first :cool:

We're here to help with any problems you have.

Thanks for joining us :goodjob: :party:

that's so strange! i had the exact same thing happen yesterday, and again today!

it even happened yesterday when i didn't have the vac connected, just the pump running circulating water.
(turned it off and started it over, making sure it was all properly primed and no air anywhere it wasn't supposed to be)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.