Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting a new cover for closing the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting a new cover for closing the pool

This is my first pool and first time closing a pool. The pool here was neglected as it was a forclosed property when we bought it. We Spent a good amount of money fixing it this year (new liner, etc) and now it's time to close. The pool previously had a mesh safety cover as the anchors for it are in the concrete. Unfortunately the cover was NOT here when we bought the house. Usually the bank has a crew come in and remove everything from a forclosed property and I guess they took the cover with them.

My question is, can I buy a mesh cover online and use the existing anchors in the deck, or do new anchors need to be drilled?
    Should I just get a normal pool cover with water bags and not even worry about the mesh cover? I have an aluminum fence around the pool with a locking gate that I chain and padlock for the winter. I'm not concerned with safety in picking a cover, just figured since the anchors are there, I might want to use that kind of cover.
    20k inground vinyl oval, Hayward super pump 1.5 HP, Pacvac 36 DE filter, Hayward inline chlorinator, Brand new liner 2009. 1st pool ever owned.

2. Back To Top    #2

Coastalish 'down easter'

Re: Getting a new cover for closing the pool

The trouble with buying a stock mesh cover for the pool is that the straps might not line up with your existing anchors There are ways around this which may eliminate the necessity of redrilling all the anchors.

I think that a solid cover with water tubes would be a good choice Just remember to measure the pool and remember the steps!! Some covers have the center step area included, if not, get a cover that will allow for at least 1' of overlap.

Watertubes are both inexpensive and cheep You can expect to have at least 3 of them fail every year

You will want to keep the cover ~ debris and water free - there's always a chance of the cover falling in the pool or having a branch, or similar, poke a hole in it - if you keep the cover fairly clean, you won't open to a mess
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)