Used pool .... to change sand in filter?

Suziqzer

TFP Expert
Sep 21, 2009
Greentown, IN
Hubby and I are working on installing a used pool that came with a Hayward pump and filter... sorry, I don't have the specs currently on sizes, etc.

The owner said the sand is just a couple of years old and shouldn't need replaced yet. Upon looking at the sand, it is white/cream on top and about an inch under that it is orange/rust colored. Being our first pool, I don't know what the sand looks like when you first purchase it.

I assume that he filled his pool with a well because of where he lives and am concerned that this might be iron. Didn't know if any of it would likely come out into our water when we start using it. He never mentioned using any sequestering agents, but we didn't ask... might have Hubby call him to see if he ever had trouble so we know what we're dealing with.

Don't really want to take on the expense of the sand right now... takes 200 lbs worth, but don't want to risk adding any more iron to the water than our own well will be giving us (we're filtering with a metaltrap and a house filter when we fill it).

Just wanted your opinions on what we should do. If we do decide to purchase sand, what is the cheapest way to go?

Suziqzer said:
Just wanted your opinions on what we should do. If we do decide to purchase sand, what is the cheapest way to go?
Hi Suzi-Q

Don't change out your sand until you test your water and get some thoughts from people on this board who might be able to identify the problem.

And... welcome to the forum. :)

Hi Suziqzer,

Not that it's much help, the colour of the sand will depend on where it was quarried some is redder than others, some whiter.

You should be able to back wash the crud out of the filter, watch for clear water in the sight glass and don't forget to rinse before re setting the valve to filter.

Having the water tested, both your fill water (well) and pool water is the only way to tell what you have got right now.

Be interested to know how you get on with the metal trap.

We ended up filling the pool with a neighbors hose.. actually it's filling now :-D We have well water where we live with lots of rust!

I did some preliminary testing of water in white bowls in the kitchen to see what we should do for water. After putting water in bowls from various sources...
hard water from the well
softened water from our well
hard water filtered with house filter
hard water filtered with metaltrap and then house filter
neighbors city water

I added chlorine tab from leftover from our little intex pool this summer to get the iron to oxidize to see what we had.

Hard water... some small sediment and orange fallout
softened water... clear
hard water w/filter slightly orange
hard water with metaltrap and filter -brown!
neighbors water- clear

We didn't really want to run our well and softener that much (just had softener rebuilt a few wks ago) so the neighbor was the next best choice. We will simply pay the difference in his water bill this next cycle.

Couldn't believe the results from the metaltrap!!! :| Were expecting better results from that! Luckily the supplier took it back :cool:

Can I throw a second THANKS!! in there for you testing the Metaltrap. :party:

That was some mighty good thinking. Testing the thing before actually using it. :goodjob:

I'm glad your neighbor was willing to help you out with the water. just remember to use your softened water for any refills.

I hope others that have tried the MetalTrap had better success than we had!

I had read enough on these boards to know I wanted to avoid iron in my pool any way I could. All the info online I could find about the M.Trap was good, but my experience differed dramatically. I couldn't believe out of all of the test samples we did before deciding on how to fill the pool that it was the worst of them all! I would have been so upset to have a brown pool starting off with all the effort I put into trying to avoid it.

If someone has had any experience it would be great if you posted so others could see how it worked for multiple people.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice along the way... I've learned so much from reading all your postings and think I'm ready to jump in and use the BBB. So glad I found this site or we'd have copper in our pool already... had leftover tabs from our kiddie pool this summer Hubby wanted to use... no way!! They have Copper sulfate in them... I'm gonna avoid that one! We'll give it to someone who has a kiddie pool next season if they want them :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.