Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: installing leaf net cover

1. Back To Top    #1

installing leaf net cover

We are closing our pool this weekend and I have a question about the leaf net that we purchased. Is the leaf net suppossed to be suspended above the water so the leaves dry? If so, how do you pull it that snug and keep it there? It did not come with any installation directions.

Thanks for any tips!
    18x33 above ground pool, vinyl liner, starbright DE filter, 1.5 HP Dynamo pump

2. Back To Top    #2

North Central Texas

Re: installing leaf net cover

I used just a leaf net cover for two winter seasons; that is without any other cover. It just floated on top of the water with weights around coping/decking. It doesn't have to be stretched very tight. The net caught virtually all of the leaves; LOTS. But don't expect it to keep any finer debris out unless you use it over another cover.

Because of dogs I had to make barriers around the pool as it would be deadly for any animal larger than a cat. It was fun to watch the birds drink from pool (one reason to not use borax) and, also, catch bugs all winter on or above the net. We have bugs all winter here. I even saw a few birds that I never see at the feeders.

It did a great job but was a real hassle to keep the dogs safe and not worry that they would find a way to the death trap.
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

3. Back To Top    #3

Coastalish 'down easter'

If you use a regular cover under the leafnet (and the leafnet should just rest on the other cover, not be held taught across the pool), you are better off removing the leafnet, and it's catch, after all the leaves fall, but before it freezes into the water

Leafnets work very well, if you do as I just suggested
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4
    Waaay NW MN

I do exactly as Ted suggested. Mine just went on yesterday. When all the leaves are down, the cover gets pulled off until springtime - just before we open there is a period of seed pod and heavy "cotton" pollen drop from some of our trees. I put the leaf net on, let if catch that junk and then pull it off again. It does not get on there tightly across to suspend it, just so that it lays on top of the other cover. A temporary tool only.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!