New House, New Pool, kinda frustrated...

frustratedpoolmom

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 20, 2007
Key West, FL
yugot2bsohard said:
I bought a house with a pool, so Im new to this. Right now Im trying to get rid of algae. Thank god I found this site....was very frustrated with the "pool store" Going with the BBB method. My question is this....I have a hayward cartridge filter, I have to clean them about twice a week. Will this get better after I get the BBB method going? Or do I get a sand filter that the "pool store" suggested for clearer water and less maintenance? I dont have a gauge, so I clean the filters when the water starts running slow in the skimmer.

Thanks,
KIM

Hi Kim and welcome :wave:

When you are trying to clear up algae, it's not uncommon at all to have to clean the filters more often. But once the pool is clear, carts are great at filtration, and I don't necessarily agree that a sand filter would be less maintenance or make the water clearer.

So yes, it will get better. This assumes your carts are in good shape and haven't been damaged by misuse or improper cleaning. How are you cleaning the cartridges? (There is an article in Pool School that gives the proper method.) :goodjob:

There have been numerous (and fun) threads about which type of filter is better and everyone will hype what they prefer as being better (myself included! - I would never choose sand over my cart :mrgreen: ).

Why don't you have a gauge? They aren't expensive to replace....

If you would like assistance clearning up your swamp, just holler - and post test results. Are you following the Defeating Algae article? :wink:

Hey...Thanks for getting back to me. Yes I am following the Defeating Algae article. Trying to anyway...all I have is test strips......tester is on the way. I clean my cart's by spraying off with a water hose. Also when I have an extra set, I let them dry and trade off.
As far as the guage goes....its never had one, dont see that it was ever plummbed for one. This pool is about 15 years old. Dont have backwash. Just a simple pipe going into the pump, then into the filter and to a t to divert water to 2 of the 4 jets or to all 4.

KIM

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.