Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long to wait after adding bleach and muratic acid

1. Back To Top    #1

How long to wait after adding bleach and muratic acid

Hi all:

How long should one wait to swim after adding a normal amount of bleach and muratic acid to maintain the proper level per the "Pool Calculator" ?

Bill
    14,000 gallons; Sand filter; IG; Vinyl; Pump size and filter = TBD

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long to wait after adding bleach and muratic acid

Quote Originally Posted by wmorton1
    How long should one wait to swim after adding a normal amount of bleach and muratic acid to maintain the proper level per the "Pool Calculator" ?
    Well, if your signature is up to date ("Pump size and filter = TBD") I'd have to say the answer is until the day you install a pump and filter! heh heh

If you have good circulation (multiple suction lines and returns lines) good turnover rate (or PSI at the filter) AND you're not in the midst of shocking your pool for mustard algae etc., I suspect that the acid and chlorine additions would be pretty well diluted in 15-30 minutes or less. My practice is to dump chems in the deep end with 100% suction at the main drain, wait 5 minutes or so, then split suction 50-50 between main drain and skimmer and start up everything that stirs the water: the auto pool cleaner, spa jets & water features. If the surface needs netting, I do that. Another five minutes I turn everything off (or down) and jump in. So far, no skin burns to complain about.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

also never add muratic acid and cholrine to your pool at the same time. Always allow a min of15 minutes with the pump running between chemical additions.

MA and chlorine do not like each other
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    also never add muratic acid and cholrine to your pool at the same time. Always allow a min of15 minutes with the pump running between chemical additions.

MA and chlorine do not like each other
    Amen!

The general rule at our house, and the recommendation I give here, is to wait 30 minutes before swimming.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    The general rule at our house, and the recommendation I give here, is to wait 30 minutes before swimming.
    A good rule... broken only by children, teenagers, college students, the elderly, dogs and insects.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you all for your fast responses...now all I need are a pump and filter
    14,000 gallons; Sand filter; IG; Vinyl; Pump size and filter = TBD