Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing on Monday - Have Couple of Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing on Monday - Have Couple of Questions

We're closing our pool on Monday. Previously we had Baquacil so this is the first time closing it with chlorine. I have 9% liquid chlorine and according to the calculator, I'll need to shock to 24 FC. I also bought a quart of Polyquat 60.

So this weekend we want to be able to swim, but I'm not sure when we should shock and when we should add the Polyquat.

Can we add them at the same time, or is that not a good idea? When should we add the shock and when should we add the Polyquat?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've read through the closing sticky but I'm still confused.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing on Monday - Have Couple of Questions

Swim on the weekend. When you are done, shock. Make sure the shock level holds overnight. Then the following day, add the Polyquat. The PQ will consume some of the chlorine level so don't be alarmed by that. Then winterize the plumbing and/or cover as normal.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Closing on Monday - Have Couple of Questions

Thanks, FPM. The only thing is we're having someone else do the actual closing. He said Monday and knowing him, it will be early morning on Monday. We will be vacuuming and doing the water balance and then he'll be doing the rest.

So, do you think it would be okay to shock and maybe wait an hour and then add the Polyquat Sunday night? Husband is insisting he get his last swim of the year in on Sunday.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)