Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 Speed Sap pump only runs on low speed

1. Back To Top    #1

2 Speed Sap pump only runs on low speed

My Challenger 2 speed Spa pump motor only runs on low speed, even if voltage is applied to the high speed terminal. I disconnected all wires from motor terminal block. I measured resistance between high and low speed terminals. No resistance, just pure continuity. Is this indicating something wrong inside the pump motor?

Thank you,
    First time owner, 15k gallon inground, Pentair FNS36 DE, just installed Hybrid-Pump X2, Solar Heater, PoolCleaner, FT100 kit, BBB, brood of six.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: 2 Speed Sap pump only runs on low speed

First, welcome to the forum.

Most motors will have only a few ohms of resistance in the windings so when you say "no resistance", did you set the meter on its lowest resitance setting? If it is indeed 0.000 Ohms then the motor is probably shorted but then the breaker would shut off. Are both windings this way? It is possible that the start capacitor may be shorted but again, the breaker would trip.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner