In need of brush advice...

Mar 21, 2008
Florida
well after 1 year of use the brush I had gotten with my pool has started to lose its bristles. Actually the bristles have become brittle and are snapping off making a mess of my sparkling clean pool :O Does anyone have advice on a good brush? Should they last longer than 1 year? Any makes to stay away from?

thanks in advance

I like the stainless bristle ones. They last a lot longer, and should be no problem on a fully cured out pool (I see you are PebbleSheen). Doubt they'd be advisable on a liner pool!!

Bruce

simicrintz said:
I like the stainless bristle ones. They last a lot longer, and should be no problem on a fully cured out pool (I see you are PebbleSheen). Doubt they'd be advisable on a liner pool!!

Bruce

wow, I would have never thought of that. I will look into that. I am assuming that the bristles are very thin to prevent scoring/abrading the surface to badly.

newfool said:
simicrintz said:

Bruce

I am assuming that the bristles are very thin to prevent scoring/abrading the surface to badly.

Nothing to worry about. I have Blue Granite in mine, and I'm pretty familiar with the product (since I am the applicator in my area!). Mine's been down for almost eight years now, and it looks like the day it was done. I drain my pool every two years (hard water) and pressure wash it, then fill and start up again. Been using the stainless brush for at least 7 years on it. Don't lose any sleep over the stainless brush once you get it; you'll love it!

Bruce

Awesome Bruce! How hard is the water that you have to empty and refill? Mine runs between 225-300ppm. Just curious since we have the same finish. Has the brush lasted 7 years??! wow, what a value
Thanks for all the info :)

newfool said:
Awesome Bruce! How hard is the water that you have to empty and refill? Mine runs between 225-300ppm. Just curious since we have the same finish. Has the brush lasted 7 years??! wow, what a value
Thanks for all the info :)

Our water comes out of the tap at over 400 ppm :evil: :evil: I usually try and catch it before it hits 1,000 ppm or the calcium really starts to build on the tile, etc. I wish I could get mine down to the levels that you have (I should be able to make that happen soon; more to come....!).

Probably gone through 2-3 brushes in that time frame. Brushes are cheap though! I don't sweat that too much :cool:

Keep taking good care of that Pebble finish and it will take good care of you :lol:

Bruce

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had heard of the whale tail and talked with a buddy that works at the pool store. He said that the whale tail was ok, but they were kinda cheap and tended to break near the top where the plastic was thin? I don't know if its true or not, but I ended up skipping on that purchase for now. Stainless steel brush for 3-4 years sounds like a winner to me! Bruce, I installed a water softner in my house before doing the pool, if I need to decrease the hardness of the water I just fill the pool with the softened water to help lower it ;)

newfool said:
Bruce, I installed a water softner in my house before doing the pool, if I need to decrease the hardness of the water I just fill the pool with the softened water to help lower it ;)

That should work, but watch the salt content of the water going in! Softened water usually contains high salt content, and that can be very corrosive to pool equipment :shock:

Bruce

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.