Trying to weigh cost of bleach vs. SWG

it will depend on replacement cell cost as to whether I go back to BBB.
New2me,
you are already an excellent BBB'r whether you keep the generator or not. BBB is not the precise method of chlorination but rather the careful testing of your pool, understanding the results, and knowing what to do with them. You might be an SWG BBB'r but you're still a BBB'r :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

New - thanks for the detailed info. 500W for the CG? And I'm so proud of the 160W my pump is currently burning, seems a shame to load the circuit back up (no cheap coal based electricity out here).

Out of curiosity, how do you measure Borates? It seems to me to be the exact same procedure as measuring FC. What's the difference?

The unbiased info found here is the best thing a pool owner can have!!! TFP and BBB gave me the knowledge to be comfortable with how to operate the pool safely and economically.

I have two bottles of test strips, for salt and for borates. Both are from AquaChek-
http://www.aquachek.com/electronicart.asp?l=3
although I bought them online from somewhere else(can't remember where though :scratch: .

I've used one or two of each. Last year I wanted to know how much salt was in before I added the CG, and used the strips to verify that my addition put it where the Pool Calculator said it would. Same with the borates. This year I had my liner replaced, so I just used the Pool Calculator for the additions, and I haven't checked it. I'm fairly certain that the fill water had no salt or borate(or CYA) so I put my trust in the calculator. :goodjob:

My pool is really just a "Water Feature" because it has only been used a few times this year. I haven't needed to backwash(I use a skimmer sock,) there was minimal splash-out, what Mother Nature took away with evaporation, she put back with rain! Water has been sparkling clear, and those that have been in it always comment that they love the "feel" of the water, and the lack of any odors.

The first time I opened and added 18 boxes of 20 Mule Team(and three gallons of Muriatic Acid) to the pool I was really apprehensive about it. This year, I've done it twice (thanks to liner troubles), and had no hesitation about it! I think that it is the best $60 you spend on a pool,(next to a kegger, but that won't last as long!)
Best Wishes!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.