AquaLogic P-4 question

Jul 1, 2009
Is there a way to "update" the p-4 control panel to provide two separate pump/filter daily run times? The Chlorine generator and ozone generator have been taken offline and the pool's chemistry is BBB. Would think this computer could be made to program 2 or 3 run times other than the one that can be programmed now.

ntrsandman said:
Is there a way to "update" the p-4 control panel to provide two separate pump/filter daily run times? The Chlorine generator and ozone generator have been taken offline and the pool's chemistry is BBB. Would think this computer could be made to program 2 or 3 run times other than the one that can be programmed now.
Yes, there appears to be. See instructions for Timers Menu, pp. 10-11, in the AQL-P-4 Operations Manual.

This works if you have a 1-speed or variable speed pump. Use the Configuration and Timers menus to set Filter T1 for an initial period of pumping/filtering, then set Filter T2 for a subsequent period. If you have a 2-speed pump the second filter period should already be set up to run your pump at high speed. If you don't have a spa, try configuring "spa mode" and set the filter timer for that mode.

Or you could try to accomodate one of the AUX switches... this would require somehow wiring your pump to both, however. [Caveat: I'm not an electrician, but I haven't sustained any major injuries since I stopped playing with the exposed wires behind my father's television set when I was six.]

• Be forewarned that this last option might not be advisable! :shaking2:

Are you saying that it could be possible to run a 2 speed pump on high for 2 separate time periods and run low speed for two separate time periods. For exampe, hi from 9 am to 12 pm, low from 12:30 to 5:00 pm and then maybe hi from 7 pm to 9 pm? I do have a spa. Its a spillover, but we dont have any valve actuators.

On my current configuration I can run high speed and/ or low speed only one time per day. And if I want to run the cleaner, the pump has to be on high. I dont think I'm getting very much clorine output on low speed.

Thanks.

tmtklt said:
Are you saying that it could be possible to run a 2 speed pump on high for 2 separate time periods and run low speed for two separate time periods.
There may be a way to do this but that's not what I'm saying... ntrsandman's question was about whether the P-4 could schedule two (2) separate daily run times, and my qualified affirmative answer was based partly on my own experience (with a PS-8 controller) and partly from the P-4 Operations Manual instructions.

The P-4 controller apparently reserves the second filter time (FILTER T2) for High on 2-speed pumps; I don't think this will facilitate 2 time periods each for Hi and Low speed... it's a total of 2 time periods.

The suggestion that the Spa mode might be used to configure a 2nd run time for the main pump is speculative; it would depend on the configuration of the plumbing and controller connections to the appropriate valves. But, from reading the manual, it appears doable. A less probable (but possible) alternative is through connecting the pump to AUX. If you want to try something that's beyond the scope of what's discussed in the operations manual (hijacking the spa mode or Aux circuits) I suggest contacting Hayward technical support or enlisting an experienced pool electrician.

tmtklt said:
I dont think I'm getting very much clorine output on low speed.
Most (all?) SWGs have a flow meter that determines whether the salt cell can operate. If you're not getting a message stating that the Flow is impaired during low speed pump operation, that isn't the problem. Possible reasons for low chlorine output: a) salt cell undersized for your pool b) blades require cleaning with muriatic acid wash c) salt cell reaching end of life cycle d) insufficient run time (pump/filter) e) controller set at low output (e.g., 30% when it could be 50% or 75%) or set OFF.

Mostly likely fix to problem w/low chlorine output? Extend the filter/pump operation time (low or high speed - doesn't matter.)

I should have noted in my signature that the pool is only a month old. The SWCG does produce clorine because when I test the water after the pump has been running on high for only 3 hours, its definatley shows chlorine. I'm only running it at 30% for 1 hour in the mornings (cleaner also runs at this time) and then it runs on low from 12:30 - 6 pm.

I may call the pool builder to see if he can help me trick the controller into running 2 separate high speed times during the day. I would ultimately like to run on high early in the morning for a few hours. I've been using the pool calculator to manage my pH levels. I need to keep pH between 7.2 and 7.4 to comply with my warranty. There are a few days that I need to add acid early in the mornings at 6 am due to having to leave for work at 6:30 am. It may be crazy (or a bit OCD) to test pH twice a day to keep it in that range, but...that's the reason for wanting mutliple run times. Oh, well, if all else fails the human timer will work (me!) too.

I would ultimately like high runs times at 6 am - 9 am, low from 12 - 4 and then on high again from 6 -9, if that doesn't cause too much of a strain on my power bill.

Thanks for your help and insight.

budster said:
Generally speaking, a 7-hour run time in southern Alabama with only 30% generator setting is not quite enough IMHO. Like others suggest, I'd increase the run times to at least 8 hours and/or increase the setting to it's default of 50%. Good luck.
And yet... and yet... I have an similarly sized pool and a 3 hour run time with the same SWG. 50% would be too high a setting for my pool, creating more and more chlorine until I was at shock level all the time. However, it should be noted, I use a cover about half the time during the swim season; this alone reduces the need for chlorine tremendously.

tmtklt said:
I would ultimately like high runs times at 6 am - 9 am, low from 12 - 4 and then on high again from 6 -9, if that doesn't cause too much of a strain on my power bill.
I have read the manual and this can be done using the AUX relay if you have nothing hooked to it now. The only caveat is that you have to be sure that the high and low speed settings don't overlap. There's a way to ensure that the high and low never come on at the same time by adding an external relay. PM me if you want more specifics.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.