I just purchased a house with a pool 4 wks ago. It was clear up to 3 days of straight ran. I only had strips to test water and when the chlorine was low I would add more tabs that were left with the house. That wasn't doing it. This started 9/15 and has gotten worse every day. I have since gotten on this website and read everything in the pool school, bought the tf100 kit (which I received today) and am following the instructions from "Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis"
My test results:
I only tested the things I needed (hindsight I should have tested all). After looking at the Chem Geek's Chlorine/CYA Chart, I determined that my shock level is 51.7ppm. A friend came over and thinks that it is mustard algae due to the color and the way it traveled from the deep end to the shallow. It also doesn't seem to be sticking to the walls. This is the same friend that hooked me up with tfp.com
I added 18 jugs (182 oz) of clorox, waited 30 minutes and tested...FC is 60, waited another 30 minutes and tested...FC still 60, tested 3 hrs later...FC still 60. From the article I thought that I would have to add more to get it back to shock level and repeat this a few times. Why is the FC not dropping? I am concerned that I am not doing this right.
Any advice would be appreciated!!!