Does CYA sit on top of pool water?

SeeGars

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2009
A buddy and I were talking and I mentioned CYA. He said his had climbed too high (approx 100) because he chooses to use pucks in his inline chlorinator. I AGREE.

He then said he had to go and rent a pump to sit on his top step to pump off the top third of his pool water because that is where the majority of the chlorine stabilizer sits. Is that true? Does the cya sit on top of the pool water? He said he didn't want to drain the water by backwashing because once the level fell beneath his skimmers, the water would be pulled off the bottom thru his main drain and that wouldn't have any CYA. I thought it would be mixed equally into the water after 1 week of putting in solid CYA, pool pump running, blah blah blah....

Any thoughts?

Not an expert on solubility of CYA, but I suspect that once the cyanuric acid has dissolved (in a matter of days) that it would be present everywhere in the pool. Pumping just the top portion of water probably just accomplishes what pumping the bottom portion does.

Unless his pool in a centrifuge I think its pretty well mixed.

Maybe he got the idea from mishearing someone else, maybe they meant to say drain a third of your water out of the pool and he interpreted that as the top third.

Thanks Guys!

I thought that was a bit wrong. He does like his local pool supply company but he is also very intelligent. I just have to think of a way to slowly get him off their "ways". However, they did simply give him a pump late one day and told him to return it early the next morning ... without any fee. That was very nice of them but I suppose they make lots of $$$ off the chemicals he buys....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.