Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does CYA sit on top of pool water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does CYA sit on top of pool water?

A buddy and I were talking and I mentioned CYA. He said his had climbed too high (approx 100) because he chooses to use pucks in his inline chlorinator. I AGREE.

He then said he had to go and rent a pump to sit on his top step to pump off the top third of his pool water because that is where the majority of the chlorine stabilizer sits. Is that true? Does the cya sit on top of the pool water? He said he didn't want to drain the water by backwashing because once the level fell beneath his skimmers, the water would be pulled off the bottom thru his main drain and that wouldn't have any CYA. I thought it would be mixed equally into the water after 1 week of putting in solid CYA, pool pump running, blah blah blah....

Any thoughts?
    10,000 gallon in-ground pool, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG, Jandy Purelink Water Purification System, AquaLink RS Pool Digital Assistant, Jandy Stealth Series Pumps, Polaris 380, 3/4 hp booster pump, DE Filter, Lucayan Blue River Rok aggregate innerds

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does CYA sit on top of pool water?

Not an expert on solubility of CYA, but I suspect that once the cyanuric acid has dissolved (in a matter of days) that it would be present everywhere in the pool. Pumping just the top portion of water probably just accomplishes what pumping the bottom portion does.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

I've drawn samples from top, bottom and middle depths. I can say from real testing experience that it is mixed throughout the water.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry, he is simply misinformed. But there are plenty of "pool experts" that also believe it to be true.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Unless his pool in a centrifuge I think its pretty well mixed.

Maybe he got the idea from mishearing someone else, maybe they meant to say drain a third of your water out of the pool and he interpreted that as the top third.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Guys!

I thought that was a bit wrong. He does like his local pool supply company but he is also very intelligent. I just have to think of a way to slowly get him off their "ways". However, they did simply give him a pump late one day and told him to return it early the next morning ... without any fee. That was very nice of them but I suppose they make lots of $$$ off the chemicals he buys....
    10,000 gallon in-ground pool, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG, Jandy Purelink Water Purification System, AquaLink RS Pool Digital Assistant, Jandy Stealth Series Pumps, Polaris 380, 3/4 hp booster pump, DE Filter, Lucayan Blue River Rok aggregate innerds