Getting sand on bottom

Mar 6, 2009
Here's my story... I put an AGP 24' round in about 4 yrs ago...my first year had a little sand on bottom..vacuum every 2-3 days....inquired with pool installer said was normal...installer a big DH to deal with....now 4yrs later...i have to vacuum everyday..if not twice a day. i get just enough that it makes the pool look dirty (gathers in the wrinkles in liner)

from reading it may be my laterals....now i'm a noobie.....is this a big process...i know i'll have to remove the sand to check this.. then i might as well replace my sand

Is there a "how to" for this or can someone lead me in the right direction

Thanx Onad

I have been looking at different threads.....it might be algea..should I get rid of this before i close for the winter.. i got in last night.to look..and it just doesn't feel 100% sand...so now i'm towards algea

thanx Onad

You need an FAS-DPD chlorine test, and then you need to perform an overnight loss test, to determine if it's algae. Sometimes even that is not conclusive. There are many mistaking pollen/dust/dirt for mustard algae. Try collecting a sample and looking at it under a microscope if you can.

If it's mustard algae, it will dissappear at shock levels, and then it will reappear when the FC drops to "normal" levels. If the crud is still present while at shock level then it probably isn't mustard algae.

that must be my problem...i had a h*** of a time getting my pool clear this season when i opened

here's my situation..... i'm in eastern canada..pool freezes solid....right now i have two feet of water left in pool ( pool store told me to do this for closing) and i have added the winterization kit ( stain preventor, shock, algicide) ..i brushed to mix everything up... should i add some shock every couple of days then brush again?

thanks guys for the help....eveytime i talk to the guy at the store...he's got such attitude...i walk out everytime wondering why i keep going back to the store

my pool is 24' round 52" high.... by end of December my pool is filled to return jet

thanx onad

yes leave uncovered..was told by store not to cover over winter... try to scoop out as much leaves as can before the real cold weather starts...to get a head start on it for next season

thanx onad

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.