Closing Question

Jun 14, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
This will be my first year closing a pool and i have read Pool School on it and dont find it too complicated. I will also be watching my friends dad close his pool in the next few weeks so i get a better understanding of it.

But I had some questions that I couldn't seem to find answer too:

Which plugs are better to use in the Return and or Skimmer lines for the winter time.

Rubber
68950.jpg

Or PVC
winterplug2LG.jpg

And how does one go about using the foam of a pool noodle in place of the "gizmo"?
72130.jpg

Gizzmos are for skimmers since they act as a plug and also take the squeeze from ice expansion.
Although depending on how the pool is plumbed if there is a main drain it may be possible to have pressure on the gizzmo, and sometimes the gizzmo will leak. If a main drain is putting pressure on the skimmer during the closing I would recommend using the white plug (hayward sp-1022c) since it seals better than the gizzmo will.
Rubber plugs can sometimes leak from their stems but depending on what you are plugging up a rubber plug might be the only option.

I use all three of these products, but depending on the pool one is usually better suited than the other.

If I may add a little to what Tim and Keven have said...

When I see the white plugs (SP 1022 C) fail, it's because the o-ring has dry rotted, the liner wasn't fully cut out of the inlet/ outlet port, or the faceplate is cracked. A few wraps of Teflon tape will take care of this :wink: (though I prefer to fix the problem :hammer: )

For the Gizzmo, wrap the threads with Teflon tape and install it after you add some antifreeze to the line. (use a Gizzmo that sticks above the water level of your skimmer :wink: )

I hope you have an easy closing and a good winter :cheers: Info on closing can be found at Pool School

frustratedpoolmom said:
Depends on if you have a way to circulate at the lower level, some pools don't in which case you treat, circulate the chems, then drain. Plus, can you accurately calculate dosing at the lower level for your chems?

That's what thought, since i dont have a main drain, i wasnt sure how the chemicals would get mixed around through the system.
Thanks for the response poolmom.

Ok, so i'm bumping my thread with another question.

I was looking at my filter system since i was going to blow the lines out with my shop vac.
But the way my installer hooked everything up, he has all the PVC pipes that screw in all PVC cemented so there is no way to turn them to get remove the pieces to get them off.

1) Does this mean i have to use the drain plug in the pump basket with a compressor to blow my lines out?

2) Does this mean i have to leave my pump/filter outside all winter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You've got a VERY! good idea there, cutting the pipes and installing unions next spring :goodjob:

The equipment will last longer if stored inside over the winter :wink: When you hose off the grids on your filter, don't put it back together - mice like to build their winter condos in the filters!

If you need any help on the 'how to' on the plumbing, we'll tell you how to do it correctly :)

waste said:
You've got a VERY! good idea there, cutting the pipes and installing unions next spring :goodjob:

The equipment will last longer if stored inside over the winter :wink: When you hose off the grids on your filter, don't put it back together - mice like to build their winter condos in the filters!

If you need any help on the 'how to' on the plumbing, we'll tell you how to do it correctly :)

Yeah, I think i'm going to have to get a picture of my setup now, that way you guys can see how it is setup now.
Then next spring before opening, i'll go ahead and redo some of them.

As for the DE filter would it be alright to put that in a Rubbermaid container for the winter?
I also read that you dont want to clean the filter with chemicals or acid until the opening, so that way the chemicles are not eating away at it over winter (is this true?)

WestSidePool said:
As for the DE filter would it be alright to put that in a Rubbermaid container for the winter?
I also read that you dont want to clean the filter with chemicals or acid until the opening, so that way the chemicles are not eating away at it over winter (is this true?)

The chemical cleaning is probably better done as soon as you pull the gris=ds out, that way no 'junk' has coagulated on them :wink:

Do the degreasing soak, rinse , and, only! if you have calcium in the water, the acid soak! Once the chemical soaking is complete, thoroughly rinse the grids and they are fine for the winter!

You can store the equipment wherever you like, just don't set it up so that mice will find it inviting :cool:

Well you don't have a maindrain, so using a gizzmo should work just fine for you, and chances are I would use a sp1022c plug for your return lines assuming they will fit ( I can't see the pool). inspect your return line face plates, they have 4 screws to remove. remove the plate and look for stress cracks, if you see cracks replace the plate this will help ensure the plugs don't leak via a damaged faceplate.

Good evening! :-D

Thanks for the pic! :goodjob:

I would cut the pipe coming into the pump ~ 8" off the inlet. Then I'd cut the pipe coming out of the pump midwat on the horizontal pipe going into the 90 to the multiport. I'd also cut the waste/ backwash line midway between the multi and the 90. For the line feeding the CL 200 chlorinator, cut it where the new union won't be fouled by the suction line, the unions have a cuff that would be hard to tighten if there is a pipe next to it :wink:

Remove the drain plug on the chlorinator, it's a 9/16" head (they should have used a SP 1500 UNPAK union to attach it :rant: ). Tape some plastic over the exposed pipes, so that water or critters don't get in, and bring in the pump and filter for the winter. Make sure that you have ~ no water in them, if you'll store them in an unheated area :idea:

Always here to provide more help :!:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.