Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Cover question

1. Back To Top    #1
    Fort Worth TX

Solar Cover question

I have a question about using as solar cover. In the end of the season like now in Texas where it can still be 90º during the day but the evening temps are getting in the 70's is it best to leave the cover on during the hot of the day or off then cover it during the evening? Which will warm the water better? I am asking specifically on the Blue cover if it make a difference.
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user

2. Back To Top    #2

Cupertino, CA

Re: Solar Cover question

My understanding is that the solar cover is not really so much a heat collector (unless you have a really dark one) as a heat-loss preventer. I think if you want to maximize heating in the conditions you describe, you'd want the cover off during the day and on at night, so the sun can do its best to warm the water and you don't lose as much in the cool of the night.
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3

North Texas

Re: Solar Cover question

I'm in Denton and what works best for me is to leave my blue cover on when the pool isn't being used. Keep in mind wind will cool it quite a bit. At least it cools mine. Leaving the pool covered keeps my evaporation rate and CL usage down so I avoid spending money on fill water and can run my swg even lower. Plus, my cover is 20 x 40 and not a joy to manipulate without help. There may be some benefit to covering/uncovering everyday but I'm usually too busy for that. I tend to think a pool probably heats faster on a calm sunny day uncovered. I've never tracked the difference though. I will say that the cover does extend the swim season on both ends much cheaper than fossil-fueled heater methods.