Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Valve Questions....sluggish skimmer...vacuum, etc

1. Back To Top    #1

Valve Questions....sluggish skimmer...vacuum, etc

I have searched and read pool school, but I didn't see the answers to these questions. I'm sorry, but my pool builder got very sick before we got the in house "pool school" they offer, so I know nothing about the valves and settings or how to make changes. I have left them the way they were set.

I have one valve for the both main drains and I have a valve for each side skimmer (2). I also have a dedicated line for Polaris 280.

1. One of my skimmers is a little sluggish compared to the other one. What could cause this? Should I change valve settings? Are all valves usually completley open? Should I try and clean something other than the basket? Could on of the holes in the bottom be obstructed? How much is enough water flow through the skimmers?

2. If I want to push dirt down to the main drain, is it okay to turn the skimmer valves completely off to get more suction to the main drains?

3. Should I make changes to the valve settings when I run the dedicated line to the Polaris?

4. Is there something I should watch for or avoid to keep from doing damage to pump, cleaner, pipes, etc?

Thank you! again and again,
    Donna
    Donna
    18X37 Grecian Vinyl Liner, X-Stream Slide, 1 1/2HP Hayward Pump, 3/4HP Polaris Booster, AquaRite SWG, Jandy AE3000 Heat/Cool, Jandy Deck Jets, 4.0 Colorlogic Light, Polaris 280 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Valve Questions....sluggish skimmer...vacuum, etc

Quote Originally Posted by dmj4
    I have searched and read pool school, but I didn't see the answers to these questions. I'm sorry, but my pool builder got very sick before we got the in house "pool school" they offer, so I know nothing about the valves and settings or how to make changes. I have left them the way they were set.

I have one valve for the both main drains and I have a valve for each side skimmer (2). I also have a dedicated line for Polaris 280.

1. One of my skimmers is a little sluggish compared to the other one. What could cause this? Should I change valve settings? Are all valves usually completley open? Should I try and clean something other than the basket? Could on of the holes in the bottom be obstructed? How much is enough water flow through the skimmers?

2. If I want to push dirt down to the main drain, is it okay to turn the skimmer valves completely off to get more suction to the main drains?

3. Should I make changes to the valve settings when I run the dedicated line to the Polaris?

4. Is there something I should watch for or avoid to keep from doing damage to pump, cleaner, pipes, etc?

Thank you! again and again,
    Donna
    1. For highest flow rates and shortest pump run times, having all the valves open would be best. However, if you really need to have more skimming action out of one of the skimmers, you can reduce the flow rate from the other ports. But this will reduce overall flow rates.

2. You can do that but again, it will reduce overall flow rates and increase turnover time so you will need to run the pump longer for the same filtration. However, this will also reduce the skimming action so #1 would be even worse.

3. If it is on a booster, you should not need to. If no booster, you may need to but see if the cleaner is working properly first. Sounds as though the cleaner isn't doing it's job. If it was, #1 and #2 shouldn't be a problem.

4. Very high or very low filter pressure from the normal pressure.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater