So Cal Fiberglass Pool Installer - Recommendations?

QCJLo

Jun 30, 2009
I am beginning my research into creating my backyard oasis! I still have a ways to go in figuring out the specifics of the equipment I will use, but one thing seems pretty clear to me. I want a fiberglass pool & spa.

I have no family or friends to ask for recommendations on PB's. Furthermore, I have never actually seen a pool being installed. Therefore, I would love to hear your recommendations on PB's in Los Angeles (I live in Burbank).

I particularly like the Viking fiberglass models but have not committed to that brand only.

Well, I dont agree, but to each his own

Personally, if you dont like the choice of gunite, and there are negatives, go with a vinyl liner pool. They are cheaper than fiberglass, have less problems, and look great. Fiberglass pools, at least around here, are looked at pretty similar to an above ground set up in terms of asthetics, and resale value. What they cost to put in is way too high when you can get the same fucntionality in vinyl much cheaper. All my opinion, of course :wink:

New England

Soil type also dictates if one will work as well. Ive only know one person with one and his popped out of the ground. There was some culpability on his part to cause it, but i still wouldnt want one. And..up here you dont see many of them at all.

Fiberglass pools are produced in a factory and then shipped to the customers location. Because they are so large, that shipping process quickly gets very expensive if you need to go any significant distance from the factory. Because of that they are only really common in areas with a high number of swimming pools per unit area, like Florida, Texas, and parts of California.

Fiberglass has several advantages, the largest of which is extremely rapid install times.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
QCJLo said:
I would love to hear your recommendations on PB's in Los Angeles (I live in Burbank).
Looks like we still haven't answered your question about locating a pool builder to install your dream Viking! Too bad you don't live in Sacramento where I know of a reputable one a few miles down the road... they do a big business in this area as Viking is a major presence here. Surely someone in the south land has installed a fiberglass pool in recent years and can recommend a builder. Keep checking back as the forum gets busier.

Hi All,
This is good stuff. There have been some concerns addressed on this thread about fiberglass pools that are legitimate but might benefit from some clarification.
1. Aesthetics: There is no question that fiberglass pools can look cheap, but frankly there's no excuse for them to with the technology available today. The stigma that fiberglass pools are stark white "bath tubs" slapped in the ground along with some broom finish concrete has gone the way of the dinosaur. Colored finished, cantilevered coping, elevated spas, stamped concrete, etc. are all part of many of our pool projects. My partner Marcus wrote a great article "Do Fiberglass Pools Look Like Bathtubs: A Prevention Guide". You could also see some pics of modern fiberglass pools our site www.riverpoolsandspas.com.

2. Soil Conditions and Pop-ups: Poor soils do not effect fiberglass pools. Colder climates don't either; in fact they are the most durable pool one can own because of the capacity that fiberglass has to move and flex. Can bad stuff happen if they are drained without taking proper precautions (which sound's like what happened above)? Absolutely, but the same can and does happen to gunite pools. If there's more water on the outside of the pool then the inside, the hydrostatic pressure tends to cause problems. Two really popular articles that I've written regarding the effects of soils and ground water on fiberglass pools are "7 Deadly Sins of Fiberglass Pool Installations" and "Top 5 Fiberglass Pool Problems and Solutions".

3. Considering today's economic climate, I would strongly encourage anyone considering the purchase of a fiberglass pool to do a thorough investigation of any fiberglass pool manufacturers they are considering. It would be time well spent.

4. Oh yes, the original question: A southern Cal builder. I'll see what I can up come with for you.

Jason

Nice post, Jason,

My neighbor installed a fiberglass pool last summer. My slightly upturned nose quickly was lowered as I watched them complete his beautiful pool. They installed Ceramic tile around the waterline and did a really neat job where the coping and concrete met. It's a great looking pool.

Thank you for that information. However, I took a look at their website and they are in Northern California. So unless they want to travel roughly 400 miles (one way) to install my pool, I seriously doubt they are an option for me. :)

Jason Hughes said:
Ok, found a fiberglass pool dealer in southern cali that comes highly recommended:
Palo Cedro Pool and Spa
http://www.palocedropoolandspa.com/index.html
530-547-4051
530-351-5950
good luck!
They carry Leisure Pools which we also carry and highly recommend.
I've heard of them; they're up in Redding. I think their main service area is Redding/Chico/Oroville/Susanville. (Way too far north. California is a bigger state than most people think. The distance would be the equivalent to miles between New Jersey and North Carolina.)

I have heard good things about Hippo Pools in Northridge. I am looking for a PB a little closer to home - I live in San Diego county. Let me know if you find out anything about someone who does fiberglass pools this far south.

Well, I am resurrecting an old thread, but here you go -

San Diego Fiberglass Pools
o San Diego, CA
o Office: 619-851-1183
o Alternate: 619-890-4353

Did not work with them, but they distribute the same product as Palo Cedro, Leisure Pools. Now if I could only find someone in OC...

I'm still in the research phase and considering a DYI stock tank pool or a small Viking fiberglass pool . Does anyone know of a reputable Viking installer in Northern California, specifically that would serve Santa Cruz?
Polyvue, you said you know of one in Sac- can you give me that info?

The two that the Viking site referred me to both have terrible reviews on yelp.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.