Best way to vacuum/clean your outdoor spa

dooboo

May 18, 2009
Houston, TX
I have IG pool with separate Spa. Is there some easy way to vacuum up leaves/dirt from the bottom of the spa? IG has one of those vacuum thing running when the pump is running, but I haven't found a best and easiest way to clean the spa area.

thanks

The skimmer hole should be the same size as a vacuum hose, at least, mine is.

When it's warm, I just jump in and vacuum all the junk up. Works fine.

I have seen the battery-operated 'spa wands', 50 bucks at pool stores, not sure how well they work.

I guess if your vacuum hose is long enough, you could pull vacuum from your pool skimmer and go that route.

PaulR said:
Cover the spa? Will also save on the heating bill.
Definitely cover the spa! :-D

But even then debris manages to find its way to the bottom. I alternate between two quasi-ineffective methods: a) run blower (jets) along with the main circulation pump until some of it gets trapped in the blower's filter basket and b) manually lift my automatic pressure cleaner from the pool into the spa for a 10-minute quickie.

But option 'b' is a pain and the cleaner is easily entangled, running around in tight circles and trying to climb over the seats... so I've decided, like dooboo, to find a better way. I'm torn between the Aqua Broom and one of those AquaQuik suction poles $50-70 and $30-40, respectively. I'm going to order one of these--just as soon as I repay the bank loan required for the obscure Taylor water testing kits I ordered. Everyone, of course, should test for Barium and Xenon. :roll:

Just kidding.

I just use a short hose like the ones used for AG pools to go from pool to pump. It's about 6ft long and works great. Cheap and easy. An alternative to the Spa Suction Wand is one of those squirter tubes used as pool toys. Pretty much the same thing except way cheaper, you can even get them at the dollar store sometimes.

Adam

I use something very similar to the AquaQuik suction poles. It works great on 8 double A batteries. When the batteries start getting weak it doesn't pick much up, so I always keep a million A batteries around.

Since my spa is a spillover, I go with the ultimate lazy method but it absolutely works the best since the spa gets so dirty. I just turn on the spillover mode and brush the whole spa. Everything in there will start floating around and then go into the pool.... :lol:
It clears up about 90% of the dirt in the spa. Then I use the suction pole the grab the rest, while the robot in my pool takes care of the other Crud.
It works great if you have a spillover spa... :cheers:

mitch08 said:
I use something very similar to the AquaQuik suction poles. It works great on 8 double A batteries. When the batteries start getting weak it doesn't pick much up, so I always keep a million A batteries around.
Two words: Rechargeable batteries. Much cheaper in the long run.
--paulr

PaulR said:
Two words: Rechargeable batteries. Much cheaper in the long run.
--paulr
One word: SpaWand

Alright, I cheated a bit... that's more than one word. :-D

Tonight, after a refreshing late-season after-work swim I changed into street clothes and dropped my Polaris 280 cleaner into the spa to "do its thing" on some debris that was scattered on the spa's floor and seats. While standing over the spa, stupidly surveying its progress, the cleaner noticed my presence and shot me with a mighty blast of water, drenching pants, shirt and leather shoes. It was all I could do to... [narrative with expletives deleted]. :evil:

That was the last blast, so to speak. Tonight I ordered a Polaris Spa Wand (the sporty yellow professional model, of course!) Will let you all know in a few days if this action was a sensible expenditure of $75.00.

No batteries. Beat that... :lol:

I said:
That was the last blast, so to speak. Tonight I ordered a Polaris Spa Wand (the sporty yellow professional model, of course!) Will let you all know in a few days if this action was a sensible expenditure of $75.00.
Product review
[center:305tlyyg]UPDATED March 14, 2010[/center:305tlyyg]Polaris SpaWand Pro 5-200-00

Sept 24, 2009
Item purchased from PoolSpaResource.com
Cost $68.99 plus tax (shipping included)

Exec summary - Adequate for very small jobs, picking up debris, dirt, small leaves (only) in shallow pool water. I was surprised at first that the entire unit was not made of plastic, it looks like balsa wood that's been painted; only the working ends are plastic. Feels pretty sturdy. Assembly: Good. No missing parts, working pieces feel like they are well fit. Operation: OK. Pumping action required to suction up debris, and it wasn't too difficult to do, easily picking up items within a 6"-7" diameter circle from a distance of 1"-2" -- but this wand must be almost right on top of the debris.

One issue I hadn't considered before purchase was whether the reach (length) of the spa wand was sufficient to capture dirt at depths of 5, 6 or 8 feet. It isn't, at least not without contortions of the spine, or actually getting in the water. My spa's depth is 42" (3.5 ft) and I had to bend over the water with the wand to be able to get close enough for it to pick up the debris on the floor. I think it will work in water depth up to about 4'-0" and THAT'S ABOUT IT.

Update 3-14-2010
Quality sometimes doesn't matter. I quickly tired of the contortionist acts required to be able to use the wand in any more than a foot or two of water. The design does not permit fitting it to a long pole for easier access, so after a few short months of self-inflicted back pain I hung up the wand, to serve as a bright accessory to that pair of hedge trimmers I used once in 1991 and a length of re-bar that has been with me longer than most of my friends. If you have a kiddie pool or Caribbean bench, this tool may have some utility, otherwise, take a pass.

Longevity: [n/a - Used only a few times. Will report back in a few months on this.]

Would I recommend this item? Only to pick up very small amounts of debris in shallow water. Don't try to do your entire pool! However, if you do, please post your review of the Cybertech 636 Flex Power Back Brace on this forum. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.