Putting Your Pump and Filter In A Shed

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Hey folks,

I am redoing my pool area and had plans to move my 8X8 shed to my equipment area. I'd then have my equipment inside my shed. Figured it would look nicer and cut down on noise.

Just wanted to make sure that this is in fact safe to do. Shouldn't cause any issues for me, right? Wasn't sure if the pump had certain airflow requirements that the shed would block.

Only cause of concern that I can think of is that if the pump or filter has any minor drips/leaks by one of the connections, I could potentially rot out the floor. But I figure I'll just plan for that situation in some way.

Any other reason why this may not be a good idea? Again, any airflow issues? Is this common?

Thanks!

I have mine in a building. It does heat up the area, but not bad. I put a ~10X12 vent in the wall right at the back of the pump. I had planned to add a vent up higher, but haven't had the opoortunity yet.

My stuff is in a shed on a concrete pad, so drips aren't a concern. The shed definitely helps with the noise. Previous owner's only caution was that I should leave the doors open if I turn on the gas heater (which I've done maybe twice).
--paulr

I have a customer that has a sealed room for their equipment and it can get to I'd say around 85 in there during the course of a week from the heat produced from the motor. In other words I would have some time of venting system. I would definitely use a concrete pad or stone for the floor because the water will rot the wooden floor. If you do get a concrete floor have them put in a drain.

X-PertPool said:
I have a customer that has a sealed room for their equipment and it can get to I'd say around 85 in there during the course of a week from the heat produced from the motor. In other words I would have some time of venting system.
Hey, Kevin, my uninsulated garage w/two 16x4" vents (just above floor-level) heats up to well above 100 degrees F. during summer afternoons... 105+ if I forget to leave the side door open!

Would it be considered a thread hijack to ask if anyone has tried to enclose an existing equipment pad (poured concrete)?

PaulR said:
My stuff is in a shed on a concrete pad, so drips aren't a concern. The shed definitely helps with the noise. Previous owner's only caution was that I should leave the doors open if I turn on the gas heater (which I've done maybe twice).
--paulr
Paul, is the exhaust from your heater vented outdoors or does it just dump out of the top of the unit, into the shed? It should be vented outdoors through a vent stack, to prevent carbon monoxide from building up inside the shed.

HarryH3 said:
PaulR said:
--paulr
Paul, is the exhaust from your heater vented outdoors or does it just dump out of the top of the unit, into the shed? It should be vented outdoors through a vent stack, to prevent carbon monoxide from building up inside the shed.
No vent, it's just sitting there inside the shed. I basically never use it. If it isn't on, there's no CO to worry about.
--paulr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just don't venture in to work on the pump or something while the heater is operating. :shock: (And yeah, I understand about never using it. My sister has a natural gas heater on her pool and has used it about 3 times in 4 years. The cost is just too extreme!) :(

Interesting stuff! Thanks everyone!

Do you guys think it would be safe to have an electric heat pump in there? What kind of clearance do you think it needs? This is an 8X8 shed.

Thanks!

Heat pumps need LOTS of fresh, outside air to operate properly. You shouldn't block the airflow around the condenser or over the fan. I would put it just outside the shed and plumb through the wall for the water flow. Just like you see central a/c or heat pump systems installed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.